How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

I was going to solder some leds in dome lights and before I scrape old led I decide to measure voltage , there is 4 metal points in each led that are sticking out and I was only getting 2.5v witch is too low to fire new led, So when I scrape old led to get to contacts will there be 12V?

2wnpgl4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to solder some leds in dome lights and before I scrape old led I decide to measure voltage , there is 4 metal points in each led that are sticking out and I was only getting 2.5v witch is too low to fire new led, So when I scrape old led to get to contacts will there be 12V?
Did you see this post on the 3rd row (cargo) light replacement?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-puddle-lamps-diy.326988/page-11#post-3373988
Not sure if it really helps since the circuit boards seem to be different. Hopefully someone will have a schematic for the 2017 since I don't recall anyone replacing the cargo light on the new model.

Peter

Last edited:

Hey Peter I look over again and the board looks same , I just don't want to get to point of no return when I shave old led to get to contacts , so far I did test it with led still on and its showing 2.5V , can anyone confirm after I shave led what is the voltage?

2wnpgl4.jpg

Hey Peter I look over again and the board looks same , I just don't want to get to point of no return when I shave old led to get to contacts , so far I did test it with led still on and its showing 2.5V , can anyone confirm after I shave led what is the voltage?

2wnpgl4.jpg
I scraped the yellow led off and installed 2 white 5050 leds in their place. You have to be sure of the polarity before soldering the new leds on the pads but they are definitely brighter than the yellow ones that are factory. As for the 3rd row dome light I think I'm going to use a sequence of leds or wire up a small multi-led like what is used in the puddle lights to create some more light back there since that's pretty much all the light you get for even the rear hatch area.... as of right now I just replaced it with one 5050 white led... does the trick for now u

I scraped the yellow led off and installed 2 white 5050 leds in their place. You have to be sure of the polarity before soldering the new leds on the pads but they are definitely brighter than the yellow ones that are factory. As for the 3rd row dome light I think I'm going to use a sequence of leds or wire up a small multi-led like what is used in the puddle lights to create some more light back there since that's pretty much all the light you get for even the rear hatch area.... as of right now I just replaced it with one 5050 white led... does the trick for now u
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Hello. First post here. We've had our 17 Explorer XLT for 3 weeks or so. Traded a 15 Limited bought used. Only had that 2 years. Only mod I did was LED fog lights. The 17 has LED head & fog but I waned to change some of the other bulbs out. First I did the rear plate and backup lights. I used Phillips 194 LED for the plate. Backups became Sylvania 7440 LED's. Much brighter backup vision. I don't see a problem with the lights on the plate.

I read all posts in this thread because I wasn't sure how to access the map lihis without damaging anything. Finally popped the clear lens out. I found it easier to completely remove the tin deflector rather than bend it out of the way. Popped out existing bulbs, inserted the LED's & made sure they worked before reinstalling the tin & the clear lens. I have no problem with lights staying on & these bulbs dim to off nicely. I also replaced the rear festooned bulb with a Sylvania 6418 LED. As for second & third row lights, well, short answer is I don't sit back there, but I may check out the Focus lights at dealership when I get a chance.

Very pleased with the results. The Festoon bulb came from WallyWorld & the others I ordered from Amazon.

J[▪▪]C

Hello. First post here. We've had our 17 Explorer XLT for 3 weeks or so. Traded a 15 Limited bought used. Only had that 2 years. Only mod I did was LED fog lights. The 17 has LED head & fog but I waned to change some of the other bulbs out. First I did the rear plate and backup lights. I used Phillips 194 LED for the plate. Backups became Sylvania 7440 LED's. Much brighter backup vision. I don't see a problem with the lights on the plate.

I read all posts in this thread because I wasn't sure how to access the map lihis without damaging anything. Finally popped the clear lens out. I found it easier to completely remove the tin deflector rather than bend it out of the way. Popped out existing bulbs, inserted the LED's & made sure they worked before reinstalling the tin & the clear lens. I have no problem with lights staying on & these bulbs dim to off nicely. I also replaced the rear festooned bulb with a Sylvania 6418 LED. As for second & third row lights, well, short answer is I don't sit back there, but I may check out the Focus lights at dealership when I get a chance.

Very pleased with the results. The Festoon bulb came from WallyWorld & the others I ordered from Amazon.

J[▪▪]C
As a caution, pay attention to to the colour of Focus's dome lights, maybe Ford has changed something but mine are on a yellow side of spectrum and they wouldn't match white LEDs I installed into Explorer. so I went a route with load resistors and so far so good and same colour.

As a caution, pay attention to to the colour of Focus's dome lights, maybe Ford has changed something but mine are on a yellow side of spectrum and they wouldn't match white LEDs I installed into Explorer. so I went a route with load resistors and so far so good and same colour.

RedDen, thank you for that reply. The more I have thought about the rear lighting, the more I am going to stick with my original comment of "I don't sit back there". LOL. However, I have ordered the mirror LED Puddle lights from Dan at DaytimeBrightLights.com. I am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

J{••}C

FWIW, I had the Drive Bright puddle lights (latest version) and just switched to the cheaper LED puddle lights found on eBay. The eBay lights are even brighter and the color temperature better matches the signature lighting.

FWIW, I had the Drive Bright puddle lights (latest version) and just switched to the cheaper LED puddle lights found on eBay. The eBay lights are even brighter and the color temperature better matches the signature lighting.
I have those on mine also and they are by no type of standards considered "cheap"!
I also switched out my rear license plate lights to a complete housing LED part also.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...2783504043.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.14.1T5xmn

I wish there was someone who would solder in 5050 smd's here for members for the back 2 dome lights on the 2016/2017 Explorers. Thats the last 2 lights I want LED's in.

I apologize in advance if this was already answered but I did try to search through this thread and see if I could find the information, but couldn't so I will ask ...

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited and have already ordered and replaced the interior light bulbs with the LED replacement kit I got from Dan at DaytimeBrightLights.com but I am lacking the bulbs for the the Visor Vanity Mirrors and Glove Box Light ... Does anybody that has changed those as well remember what size bulb was used to convert those bulbs to LED's ??

Thanks in advance ...

- JIFFSTER00

I apologize in advance if this was already answered but I did try to search through this thread and see if I could find the information, but couldn't so I will ask ...

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited and have already ordered and replaced the interior light bulbs with the LED replacement kit I got from Dan at DaytimeBrightLights.com but I am lacking the bulbs for the the Visor Vanity Mirrors and Glove Box Light ... Does anybody that has changed those as well remember what size bulb was used to convert those bulbs to LED's ??

Thanks in advance ...

- JIFFSTER00
Did a search in this thread and found the following;
For the visor bulbs, did you see this post? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...p-puddle-lamps-diy.326988/page-4#post-2883567
Glove box; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-puddle-lamps-diy.326988/page-13#post-3402264

Peter

Finally got around to shooting a couple videos of what the Evitek LED high beams look like. The videos turned out 'ok', but to be honest the difference is even more noticeable in person versus the video. Still, hopefully this will help someone make a more informed decision on the matter. Sorry, had I thought about it I would have shot a 'before and after' with the halogens it came with.

Bought the same type from ebay France...very nice and bright !

Replaced my puddle lamps today with LED ones from ebay. Only $19 delivered for the pair, and they have the resistor non-flicker thing inside. Took about 2 weeks to get them in.

Sweet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-White-LED-Side-Mirror-Puddle-Light-For-ford-Edge-Mondeo-Explorer-Taubus-2015up/172458910497?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I also got the same light and its nice and bright. Now I need to switch out my license plate lights and I am all set for exterior lights :D

I've ordered 2 sets of puddle lights, one from Amazon and one from eBay, I had the same fitment issue on both of them. They did not fit snugly and would fall out. Has anyone else had experience with this, and if so are there any higher end lights out there I can purchase that will actually work in my 2017 platinum. I'm fully LED swapped other than the puddle lights and they are really starting to bug me...

I've ordered 2 sets of puddle lights, one from Amazon and one from eBay, I had the same fitment issue on both of them. They did not fit snugly and would fall out. Has anyone else had experience with this, and if so are there any higher end lights out there I can purchase that will actually work in my 2017 platinum. I'm fully LED swapped other than the puddle lights and they are really starting to bug me...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Check out this post. Easy install and 2 year warranty. 100% satisfaction guaranteed according to website. Video at the bottom shows installation procedure.
Puddle lights

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back