How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Check out this post. Easy install and 2 year warranty. 100% satisfaction guaranteed according to website. Video at the bottom shows installation procedure.
Puddle lights

Peter

Bought these 6 months ago. Fit perfect. Easy install, don't fall out & plenty bright as well.

Drive Bright | Aftermarket Automotive LED

Thank you both!! Drive Bright was one I had looked at awhile back and could not find the link for the life of me. I need to send in my rear dome to them as well to complete the 6K conversion! Much appreciated. :) :)

** EDIT **

Received the Drive Bright puddle lamps in on Saturday (super fast shipping!). I am very happy with the overall change, the brightness is incredible. The fitment was not perfect, however it was "close enough." Both of the lamps fit a little snugger than OE (not necessarily a bad thing) so it took a little work to get them flush. Definitely a huge improvement over the ones I have ordered from other sources that just fell right out. I will be doing the dome light swap with them here very shortly.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2018 LED interior lights

Im interested in putting LED lights in the interior of my XLT. Has anyone does this and have the types of bulbs used? Also would love to put them in the approach lights that shine down under the side view mirrors. Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

As previously requested, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you.
The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature that can be used to find previously discussed topics.
How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY Check out post #479 for the Puddle Lights.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks so much. I'll update and search. Me just being lazy I suppose. Didn't think much info on the models

I put red LEDs in our car with beige interior. It looks great! I read that the third row light is soldered in so I didn't even bother looking/trying. The side light in the trunk area requires a different bulb which I haven't bothered to order. I also replaced the license plate bulbs with ultra-bright red LEDs. Looks awesome!

How are the plate leds holding up? Thx
I'd be interested in seeing if you receive a reply. This member who was quite active hasn't been here since August. Hope everything is okay.

Peter

I'd be interested in seeing if you receive a reply. This member who was quite active hasn't been here since August. Hope everything is okay.

Peter

Ahh ok, thx Peter. Any ideas which leds work, since license plate lights are angled I believe to the right for some odd reason. Thx again

Ahh ok, thx Peter. Any ideas which leds work, since license plate lights are angled I believe to the right for some odd reason. Thx again
No idea really. Leaving mine stock as it's a lease. I believe there are other threads as well that talk about installing LED bulbs.

I got Philips in mine for two years now, so far so good

Does anyone know if the puddle lights on a 2018 XSport are incandescent or led? I pulled one out and it is a sealed unit. Light output doesn't look like led but want to make sure before I spend the money. Thanks.

To me on my 18Ex looks like they are incandescent. I plan to also change mine.
There is a way to open them up. put it in the microwave for about 5 or 10 seconds it will melt the glue and then u can open itbuo and replace the bulb. I just have not done my yet on my 18. I did it on my 13Ex, and it was very easy to do.

Does anyone know if the puddle lights on a 2018 XSport are incandescent or led? I pulled one out and it is a sealed unit. Light output doesn't look like led but want to make sure before I spend the money. Thanks.
To me on my 18Ex looks like they are incandescent. I plan to also change mine.
There is a way to open them up. put it in the microwave for about 5 or 10 seconds it will melt the glue and then u can open itbuo and replace the bulb. I just have not done my yet on my 18. I did it on my 13Ex, and it was very easy to do.
I don't believe the puddle lights are LED. Why not just get the LED ones mentioned in this link? According to the video at the bottom of the link, it is a very easy install. Puddle lights

Peter

I know they are easy to install. I have the LED BULB and can replace them myself yes, very easy to install. I did it on my 13Ex I will probably do it this weekend.
I purchased a package of LED BULBS from a place in China. I got like 20 different size LED BULBS from them for like 5.00. in my 13 I replaced the bulbs to LED in the Maps Lights, License plate lights and my Puddle lights for only 5 dollars. I was happy with the price and the ease to replace those to LED.
Now i also plan to replace the backup lights to LED if they are not LED yet. I need to check those out.

I know they are easy to install. I have the LED BULB and can replace them myself yes, very easy to install. I did it on my 13Ex I will probably do it this weekend.
I purchased a package of LED BULBS from a place in China. I got like 20 different size LED BULBS from them for like 5.00. in my 13 I replaced the bulbs to LED in the Maps Lights, License plate lights and my Puddle lights for only 5 dollars. I was happy with the price and the ease to replace those to LED.
Now i also plan to replace the backup lights to LED if they are not LED yet. I need to check those out.
Reverse lamps are not LED. W21W , 21 Watt

Looking to swap out the interior lights for LED and I can't find the bulb type for the 2ND row passenger bulb. The sites I've looked at didn't have it listed. Sylvania bulb search didn't have it listed on their site either. I know the third row requires a much more in depth switch but from some videos I've watched, the 2ND row looks easy to swap. Just wanted to verify before I order them. Thanks.

The 2nd row is the same as the 3rd, it's an LED on a circuit board. There is a company that will solder new LEDs for you if you ship them the light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2nd row is the same as the 3rd, it's an LED on a circuit board. There is a company that will solder new LEDs for you if you ship them the light.

Oh really? I watched this and it seemed pretty straight forward. I know this is for a 2015 but everything looked the same externally on my 2017. Did they really switch it all up that much?

Back