How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

An update: I went out in the dark to investigate. The second row and both domes are LED. I popped one out and could see that they were in fact LED. Does not look changeable in my opinion.

As I popped the cover off, I can confirm that the map lights (or interior or overhead?) are blue coated W5W lights. Since I was in there I replaced them to the LEDs I had. I like it much better.

Over the weekend I added these to my license plate lights. They are nice and bright. I feel it is better light than LED bulbs.

Now maybe some exterior LEDs....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An update: I went out in the dark to investigate. The second row and both domes are LED. I popped one out and could see that they were in fact LED. Does not look changeable in my opinion.

As I popped the cover off, I can confirm that the map lights (or interior or overhead?) are blue coated W5W lights. Since I was in there I replaced them to the LEDs I had. I like it much better.

Over the weekend I added these to my license plate lights. They are nice and bright. I feel it is better light than LED bulbs.

Now maybe some exterior LEDs....

will these license plate lights fit an explorer?

I have put these in the map, glove box, and second row locations.
I put this one in the lower luggage compartment area.
I used these to replace my puddle lights.
These are the lights I used for tag lights.
The over head light by third row, I "borrowed" from a friends PIU. His was a 6000K LED factory, mine was a 5000K LED.

All lights are now a true 6000K, and I couldn't be happier. No Frankenstein, chopped up, or dremel parts, all plug N play.

I have put these in the map, glove box, and second row locations.
I put this one in the lower luggage compartment area.
I used these to replace my puddle lights.
These are the lights I used for tag lights.
The over head light by third row, I "borrowed" from a friends PIU. His was a 6000K LED factory, mine was a 5000K LED.

All lights are now a true 6000K, and I couldn't be happier. No Frankenstein, chopped up, or dremel parts, all plug N play.
I've done most of that also, but, I haven't been able to do the glove box. It's not for lack of trying either. I just cannot pull out the existing bulb. It's like it's glued in or something!

I've done most of that also, but, I haven't been able to do the glove box. It's not for lack of trying either. I just cannot pull out the existing bulb. It's like it's glued in or something!
I followed these instructions in this thread. Glove Box If the link doesn't work, its on page 3 post 56.

Funny. I just tried this now and i just couldn't pull the bulb out. Don't really want to taker anything apart. Might try again in a few.

Edit - went out with a pair of needle nose and gingerly pulled it out. New LED in there now.

Last edited:

They fit perfectly in my 18 Exp.

I changed the factory bulbs to led & they are nice & bright, but the right hand side lights up more of the vehicle instead of the license plate due to the way it is designed
may try these

I felt that the other LEDs i used just did not disperse the light like I wanted. The ones I used are much better.

Hey everybody, the other day I removed the puddle light bulb housing underneath the side view mirrors and noticed that the bulb is not removable. There are just a hot and ground wire connected to the outside of the housing. Is there aftermarket housings with led bulbs installed available? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one.
There are several existing threads/posts on the LED puddle light conversion. These were found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.
Plasti Dip Wheels + Puddle LED Install.

Peter

Thinking of getting the interior led package this week for my 19. Already have the puddle light leds on the way. Anyone have these leds in theyre interior?

I got my puddle lights and interior lights from Amazon. I replaced the rear cargo LED with a board with 11 LEDs on it. If your not pretty handy with soldering and the such, I would recommend buying the ones from Drive Bright. Mine took a couple of days to do because after I got it to work, I kept getting ideas on how to make it better. I think I did it about 3 times I might be just a little OCD. I’m convinced mine is the best now. Good luck! If you need any help, let us know.

Thanks DP, yeah I'm good with a soldering gun, didn't it know it was as easy to swap till viewing this thread. Wish I knew which leds they soldered on as I would get them and did. Not sure which route I may go yet...

I'm interested in doing the swap now, are the drivebright leds the best option if I want to have the rear cargo button upgraded as well?

Or which product are people replacing their leds with throughout the explorer and is there any other option to get the rear one upgraded?

Thanks.

I'm interested in doing the swap now, are the drivebright leds the best option if I want to have the rear cargo button upgraded as well?

Or which product are people replacing their leds with throughout the explorer and is there any other option to get the rear one upgraded?

Thanks.

I'm super happy with DriveBright, others are using 194 style bulbs for the rear cargo lamps and soldiering them in place of a Cobb led or smd chip like the stocker. For the money the DriveBrights are well worth it imo.

I don't know of any other company that replaces the stock side led chips in the rear cargo lights for Cobb leds. Worth every penny to me, I vote, Do It!

Last edited:

Here is how I changed my rear cargo overhead lamp....

I used a standard 194 bulb that did not have a lense and was flat so I did not have to modify the lens reflector
I printed an adapter to hold the 194 bulb at the proper angle and line it up with the lens reflector

I have now swapped ever bulb that is removable to leds internal and external.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Nice work.

Peter

I'm super happy with DriveBright, others are using 194 style bulbs for the rear cargo lamps and soldiering them in place of a Cobb led or smd chip like the stocker. For the money the DriveBrights are well worth it imo.

I don't know of any other company that replaces the stock side led chips in the rear cargo lights for Cobb leds. Worth every penny to me, I vote, Do It!
I used a standard 194 bulb that did not have a lense and was flat so I did not have to modify the lens reflector
I printed an adapter to hold the 194 bulb at the proper angle and line it up with the lens reflector

Thanks, and for the rear cargo lamps it just pops out if I take a flat head and put pressure on it and pull down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, and for the rear cargo lamps it just pops out if I take a flat head and put pressure on it and pull down?

I used a plastic panel removal tool ... there is a clip on one end and extension/plug socket on the other(you can see it in my one photo that has the board, housing and new led). The clip faces forward while the plug/socket face the rear and support the rear of the housing by over haging the ceiling panel.

I put a plastic panel removal tool under the front(clip side) and pried it down slowly but with firm pressure, after the clip cleared the ceiling panel the entire housing will slide forward and out exposing the plug/socket on the rear side. Unplug it and you are good to go.

Removing the led on the board is kinda of a pita. I rigged up a heatgun as a hot air rework gun and almost got it de-soldered... Ultimately I ended up sticking a big chisel tip on my solder iron cranked it up and use electronic flush cutters.

Back