How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Sgt, thanks for the update......Cory, is there a way o get the part number for this light? This light would help for sure in the back. I have swapped my interior lights ( except 3rd row, and vanity visors) to the LEDs that CDN posted to his thread. No issues to report, my third row works with lift gate, and the doors, have not checked the timing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having the same rear dome light issues before and after the LED swap. Dealer is ordering a a new "gem" or "jem" module which apparantly controls interior lights. Will advise when it comes in and gets replaced.

I am having the same rear dome light issues before and after the LED swap. Dealer is ordering a a new "gem" or "jem" module which apparantly controls interior lights. Will advise when it comes in and gets replaced.

That's cool they are doing ordering that, definitely keep us updated if it works or not. Did you remove your LED lights before bringing it to the dealer ship to have it looked at?

As for my 3rd row dome light that wasn't working correctly.
Problem 1. when doors/trunk opened it would stay on for full ten minutes before turning off (with motor off)
Problem 2. 3rd row light would stay on the entire time I was driving (even past 10 minutes)

Today I
1. unplugged the light while the interior lights were on (motor off)
2. plugged it back in (while lights still on)
3. pushed the light button to confirm the button worked
4. pressed the button again to have the light off while the rest of the interior lights were on.
5. closed the doors and checked it's function w/ motor off (it now turned off after 1-2mins of closing door/trunk)
6. My 3rd row light now works perfectly! (hope it's not temporary)

NOTE: After I initially plugged the light back in it would turn off in 1-2 mins after closing the doors/trunk like the rest of the interior lights would (instead of staying on for 10 mins). But when I drove the 3rd row still stayed on. Sometime later in the day it started working 100% correctly.... Not sure what changed but I like it :D

**Update** it's evidently buggy b/c today it is back to the old ways of working weird... :mad:

I left the LEDs in while they diagnosed the problem. They didnt even mention the fact that they were LEDs. They did mention that they called thier tech hotline to help trouble shoot at it was the hotline that suggested swapping the module.

Let's know if that works

CDNExplorer - how did you exactly remove the "foil"? It looks pretty set and I didn't want to destroy it. thanks!

Just pull around the tabs holding in, if you bend it don't worry, it straightens easy.

I left the LEDs in while they diagnosed the problem. They didnt even mention the fact that they were LEDs. They did mention that they called thier tech hotline to help trouble shoot at it was the hotline that suggested swapping the module.

Same here, left the LEDs in, they never even mentioned them, nor do I believe the issue is related. The 3rd row light still does what it wants even after the "fix".

CDNExplorer - how did you exactly remove the "foil"? It looks pretty set and I didn't want to destroy it. thanks!

Pretty much like K1200 said, the foil is very pliable so don't worry if you bend it. In fact you will have to bend it to get it out. Just take your time and do what you have to to remove it and after push it back into place using a small screw driver (that's what I did) and after replacing the housing, you can't tell it ever came out.

Thanks Sgt, let me know if you can get a detailed shot.

Hey Sgt,
Do you think you could try to get the part # for the light in the rear hatch you took a picture of?
I asked today at the parts dept and they said they couldn't find it even for the interceptor models.
The asked me to get a Vin# of a car that has one and maybe he would be able to find it.
Therein lies the problem, I don't have a Vin# It would be greatly appreciated if you could get it,
but if you can't I understand. Life is busy ;) Thanks for the picture so atleast I know it exist

All,

Has anyone (of those of us who are having the issue) had any luck finding a solution to the 3rd row interior light working erratically? We have talked about it here and there are a couple of other threads discussing the issue as well. I took my X to the dealership and here is the update... not a good one I'm afraid.

My X just came out of the dealership and no fix was found either. The 3rd row light is unplugged so it doesn't bother me while I’m driving. They have no idea what is causing it and "need time to research it further". The service advisor stated that they even made calls to their Ford internal support center with no good result for a fix. (As a note to the members here; I left my LEDs installed and nothing negative was said by the dealership)

So, guess its back to the waiting game. Hope a fix is discovered soon….

For everyone’s info, here is an overview of what I have documented with the dealer thus far:

3rd row, single LED factory dome light operation issues:

Light will randomly work as per factory described normal operation. ON/OFF with doors, tailgate and dash button etc.

Light will illuminate at random while driving and remain on. Dash button, door & tailgate opening/closing, engine restart will not resolve the issue and light remains illuminated.

When light is off, it will not turn on when commanded by dash button or by opening the doors/tailgate.

Light will randomly operate when commanded to turn on/off with the light’s integrated button (The one in the light’s actual housing, not the dash button)

When light is stuck in the ON operation mode, there are only two ways to turn it off.
1. Wait for the 10 minute timer to shut it down
2. Unplug the light, wait three or four seconds, then plug it back in. (Note: light usually operates as per factory described operation for a at least one cycle of door/tailgate opening and then resumes it erratic operation after that.)

All other interior lights work perfectly as per factory described operation at all times.

photoSmallerII.jpg

In case anyone wants to see what 3rd row dome light looks like apart
The larger yellow Led on right is the actual light, the left one is the button light

I still have no solution to the 3rd row dome light or a better than dremel the puddle lights open, but I finally replaced the glove box light too. It's pretty straight forward.
It is doable by simply pulling the original bulb out and replacing it with the LED because there is no housing restricting access to the bulb. However, I found it very impractical and frustrating to try it that way, so I ended up taking out the assembly, which will pop out if you push on it from the back and do some picking around it from the bottom with a Gerber or flathead or whatever. Once it's out, disconnect the assembly from the cable and you can hold it in your hand and see what you're doing. Simple swap out the bulbs and re-assemble in reverse order.

photo4.jpg

In this picture you can see the assembly that you can pop out.

photo5.jpg

Does anyone know if the second row dome light is the same as the third row? 2012 XLT, no moonroof (both dome lights in the center of headliner; housing looks almost identical in shape and size except buttons are different)

Hey Sgt,
Do you think you could try to get the part # for the light in the rear hatch you took a picture of?
I asked today at the parts dept and they said they couldn't find it even for the interceptor models.
The asked me to get a Vin# of a car that has one and maybe he would be able to find it.
Therein lies the problem, I don't have a Vin# It would be greatly appreciated if you could get it,
but if you can't I understand. Life is busy ;) Thanks for the picture so atleast I know it exist

So I inquired about that light and its just one of the white lights sold by Whelen. Its not a Ford part. During development of the Police Interceptor Ford partnered with Whelen on some of the lighting.

That light is NOT a standard part or option on the new Interceptor Utility it was just a prototype.

I would check Whelen website for lighting options.

This is the type of what Ford is offering as an extra cargo area light.

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/details_prod.php?head_id=0&cat_id=74&prod_id=113

Does anyone know if the second row dome light is the same as the third row? 2012 XLT, no moonroof (both dome lights in the center of headliner; housing looks almost identical in shape and size except buttons are different)

Would actually like to know this as well. Before I try to open up the 2nd and 3rd row dome lights on my XLT I'd like to know if it is the same as the 3rd row light people can't seem to figure out how to modify in the Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pulling back hatch panel off to do a little investigating guys, I'll try to find a light to work. Sgt as the interceptor production gets closer, maybe they will come up with part number to use. My question would be is there electrical back there?

Back