How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Hi all

Does somebody have a solution of the 3rd row lights?
I changed all interior lights with LED and after then the 3rd row light, lights the whole time... I disconnected it but it would be great if somebody have something to do that correctly.

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all

I changed all interior lights with LED and after then the 3rd row light, lights the whole time... I disconnected it but it would be great if somebody have something to do that correctly.

Cheers

No solution yet. Some have had the service department look at the issue and even they are scratching their heads.

We got in a 2013 here at work yesterday. Looks like the third row light is exactly the same as in the 2012. No changes there.

I had my Ex in for a broken seat belt buckle and asked them to look at the third row light. Of course it was working fine yesterday and the light did not stay on....

Hi all

Cheers

Did you try switching them off while all 5 doors are closed?

Disappointing that the 3rd row hasn't been upgraded or changed or fixed in the 13's. I disconnected mine too because it does what it wants. Epic Fail FORD!!

Disappointing that the 3rd row hasn't been upgraded or changed or fixed in the 13's. I disconnected mine too because it does what it wants. Epic Fail FORD!!

Wait... Yours doesn't work right with stock bulbs?? I think mine worked fine before I added the LED bulbs.

Can't blame Ford for this one ...

This isn't just happening to those that swapped, it also happens on oem bulbs. No idea why. Besides, designing lighting housings that can't be opened, like the 3rd row and the puddle lights, is just poor design.

With the announcement of the Sport version I wonder if they will have a white LED light.

Hi all

Cheers

Same problem here.
It happened right after I changed second row lights.
I just disconnected it now because I prefer dark in rear area more than having yellow light while white color is every where else!

I used these lights for map lights

and these for second row and license plate

While not a fix, I think I may have stumbled onto work around for those who don’t want the light always lit while the engine is running. With my Explorer, the third row (cargo light) stays lit while the engine is running and for 10 minutes after the engine is shut off and I have exited (until the power save turns on). While the engine is running, pushing the on/off button for the light does nothing. Also, while the engine is not running, I can toggle the power button on/off and nothing will happen. The light is always on once the engine starts until the power is cut and the 10 minutes has elapsed.

HOWEVER, last night I was sick of the light being lit while driving, so I tired one more time to toggle the power. I opened the 2nd row driver side door, and pushed the on/off button. The light turned off! I shut the door. It stayed off. I began driving, still off. I got to my destination, shut the engine off and opened the door. The light didn’t turn on (fine by me). I returned and started the engine, the light stayed off. It seems that the circuit the LED blub is one gets confused and with all the doors shut, toggling the power buttons does nothing. BUT, I the power button is toggled with a door open, however the power is left when the door is shut is how the light status stays.

If others can confirm, I am guessing the problem is with the circuit board for the LED light. It must get confused with all the turn on with all the doors open, power button toggle pushes, Liftgate open, engine running/not running. Something with the circuit board but first check if the doors are open and that seems to allow for user intervention.

Like I said, I have limited testing of this theory, but I was able to reverse my findings and get the light to stay lit, and then change it back to not being lit. I’m going to show this to my service depart which is very good to work with and maybe see if they can confirm and contact Ford to see if they can check the LED board. If it can be proved, I am guessing Ford will/should come up with a new board and issue a fix for those experiencing the problem.

3rd row led

Ok so I have led in my third row however what I did is not for the faint of heart however it was truly easy. So I took apart the third row like others have before and I started to look at the led and decided to fix it. Little about me I am not an electrician I am an army aviation mechanic so with that said I am not a subject matter expert I just make things happen that's the army way. So looking at this board I made a decision if I break it I don't need it. So I began by scraping the first layer off the led (the white stuff and the light) till I got to the first layer of metal that was split into to halves and I noticed there was some small metal tabs on the sides of this plate. So I took this board back to the explorer and plugged it in and started to touch and led to it and it lit up. I then made plan to get this whole thing to work and I want to show you how but I can't put attachments on here. So I took apart a 5 led 194 wedge bulb apart slide it through the reflector and put the wires under the tabs and bent them down snugly. Holds really well I then installed the board back into the case plugged it up and the whole things works beautifully looks awesome with all lights being led. Down side I still get the ten min lag sometimes that I use to get when I had all stock ones but I can get it to turn off with the instructions from the post above

Hey Chief Tomahawk

Cool, it sounds good.

You must upload the Picture over http://imageshack.us/.
you need the Direct Link.

after you can use the link with "insert image" button
fotodr.jpg

have fun.

Cheers
Stoev

ok cool

Hey Chief Tomahawk

Cool, it sounds good.

You must upload the Picture over http://imageshack.us/.
you need the Direct Link.

after you can use the link with "insert image" button
fotodr.jpg

have fun.

Cheers
Stoev

Ok cool I will get it all loaded up and make a walk through. Hope cdn doesnt get mad

3rd row led swap

Ok so after you scrape off the white part of the led and get to the first layer of metal it should look like this

As you can see I did not remove the entire led just the white part and the light. And you can barley see the small tabs on the sides. I used a 194 wedge bulb that I took the bottom off the light.
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6640/20120508211636470.jpg
now you have to remove the light reflector from the housing trust me you need this thing otherwise its dim.
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/525/2012050721442862.jpg
once you have the reflector its time to assemble. You have to figure out which way your led will turn on so what I did was take my led and the board back to the ex and pulgged it in touched the led leads to the scraped metal noting which way it turned on. Now unplug it and time to finish this. You have to now thread the led through the reflector make sure you have the reflector the right direction so it will reconnect. After that slide the leads under the tabs qnd fold the tabs down. Make sure you take up as much slack as you can. The bottom of the reflector will end up sitting over the old led pad. Next adjut the led so it goes down as far as possible should look close to this.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4019/20120508211652754.jpg
This is what it looks like without reflector and still have the white wedge part
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/636/20120507211922958.jpg
I suppose you can solder it on but bending the tabs works just fine. After you get it locked in and led adjust you have to snap it together make sure you line up the reflector with the housing tabs and be careful not to crack it.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/250/20120508212605735.jpg
All together.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/250/20120508212605735.jpg
Light on
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7687/20120508213153388.jpg
All lights on. Note to makemy third row easier to install I peeled the harness off the head liner a lil bit. Hit me up with questions~bam

Attachments

• 20120507211626741_001.JPG
    20120507211626741_001.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 985

Nice! Thanks for the pics and the write-up.

imageshack is blocked for me at work so I'm having a hard time picturing what exactly you are doing... Are you basically covering the 3rd row LED with an aftermarket LED so that you have all cool white lighting? I have some spare 194 LEDs at home so this is something I'd like to try.

3rd row led

Yes I do replace the old led but you have to destroy the old one to do it. Maybe theres another way to send you pics

Yes I do replace the old led but you have to destroy the old one to do it. Maybe theres another way to send you pics

I'll be able to view the pics when I get home tomorrow so don't worry about it. Appreciate the offer though. Can't wait to give it a try this weekend. Hopefully I don't run into any problems and have to bug you with questions :)

Thanks for taking the time to write up the tutorial!

Got the 3rd row done and it works great. I haven't had a problem with the light staying on. Did the 2nd row (XLT) successfully and had it working, but as I was messing around I fried the board. Really dumb mistake on my part...crossed the contacts while it was plugged in :/ Going to take my EX in for the fan recall next week and will order a new board. Might try to order the dome that goes in the Focus as I've heard they already have the LED blueish light. It's the same part number on ford's website so we'll see.

Thanks again for the tutorial.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm glad that I could help

Sorry to hear about crossing the wires. I'm glad that it is working out for you. Mine only does it when someone turns it on with all the doors closed other than that it works great. I have heard the same thing about the focus one I will go down mon and take one out and look at it. I am also in the process of making my own set up and ditch the board all together. I love the white light makes the car seem fancy the yellow seemed cheap.

Back