How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

Does anyone know where the stock fog lamp relay is located? I want to put power to it when the parking lamps are on, not just the low beams. I realy don't want to wire up a new one so if anyone knows where this is it would be greatly appriciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was afraid of that. I don't know why they have to change wired colors around. You'll realy need someone that understands that stuff and can work a voltmeter to figure out which relay and which wire. You can try to trace wires off of your headlights and see if one goes into it. Or you can just re-wires the fogs all together to a new switch?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hey taxxman check this thread out... it talks about a power distrubution box. Do you know where that is or have worked with it at all? Cause rydinhigh said that the relay in the '95s isn't the same as your guy's.....

Dead Link Removed

it may not be.

That's what I'm afraid of... cause I don't have money to go buy a circuit tester to test each wire to see if that's the one...

you can get away with a $10 radio shack volt meter.

Well it looks like I'm not gonna need it! rydinhigh figured out how to wire the fogs for '95s. We have to go through the power distribution box by the driver's side in the engine compartment. That's where the wire you told me to look for is in the '95s. Thanks for all your help though taxxman, I really appreciate it!

Originally posted by Mikes95XLT
Well it looks like I'm not gonna need it! rydinhigh figured out how to wire the fogs for '95s. We have to go through the power distribution box by the driver's side in the engine compartment. That's where the wire you told me to look for is in the '95s. Thanks for all your help though taxxman, I really appreciate it!

Has anyone with a '01 figured this out yet? I just checked my owner's manual, and the fog lamp relay isn't in the power distribution box. [/B]Has anyone with a '01 actually done this mod?[/B]

mailto:edlmann@earthlink.net

We found out that the earlier Explorer's have the fog power wire in the power distribution box, but the newer ones have it in the relay referenced here. We never said that the relay was in the power distribution box. The WIRE was, but for the newer ones look for the relay underneath the airbox.... go up some posts and read taxxman's instructions as to where to find it, cause I think that's where all the newer ones are.....

Now mine work as well

Now my fogs work when i want them to just as long as running lights are on. Nice addition to the truck

This foglight mod works!...WOOT WOOT.....it took me about 30 minutes thou.....I couldn't find that Brown wire but i found like 5 tan ones.....i'm glad I have a little tester light before I start cutting wires.....Thanks to the original person that did the research on this!!

i had finally gotten the little relay box out and everything, and then i couldn't find the brown wire from the parking lamp assempbly, but reading over the instructions, i realize that you mean from the actual parking lights - right? And is this wire encased in anything, or is it plainly visible?

And before i do this, i will still be able to turn them on and off via the switch right? (i actully ave some 5" spots wired to the stock fog light wiring, same wattage, but i cant' have them on all the time - too high)

Oh man you are racking my brain..:D.

The brown comes off the parking lamp not in the relay box. yes it is covered in wireloom and electrical tape, you can get to it right out of the parking lamp assembly. This mod allows you to turn the fogs or whatever is on te fog lamp relay on whenever the parking lamps are on. And it will use the original switch.

thanks alot guys!!! i found the blue/green wire, cut it and rewired up to hot ignition wire to the stereo which has a 10 amp fuse and i got two in that line, and it is on the second one, the fog lights are supposed to be 15 amps, but 10 is better than 20...now my fogs come on at any time i want them to with the fog light switch...and it only took me between 30-40 minutes...i always wanted to do this mod, but i didnt have any fogs or a switch...until i switched my bumper and $60 for the difference at a junkyard for a platinum bumper with the fog lights with the switch a couple of weeks ago and i just recently purchased my woodgrain dash insert with the fog light hole since mine didnt have it...now i got it all and at a touch of a button!!! thanks again....

TO ALL WHO ARE CONFUSED: 2nd generation explorers 96-98 I believe since the 95 and 99 models are different.

This is a very simple MOD to do... any one can do it and I will show you thru a step by step process....

Okay...there are 2 ways on doing this MOD:
MOD #1: fog lights with parking lights
MOD #2: fog lights at any time with your factory fog light switch

First, find the relay box, it is under the air filter box....there are wires coming out from under it...take as much of the hose cover off...find the BLUE wire with a GREEN stripe (BLUE/GREEN)...CUT it and now you have 2 BLUE/GREEN wires...1 coming OUT of the relay box and the other leading to the headlights....now the next process is to what MOD you choose:

To do MOD #1: 15 min. job (fog lights with the parking lights)
First, grab a spare wire that is about 12" long....and connect one end to the BLUE/GREEN wire that is coming OUT of the relay box...then find the wire loom off to the side that is going to the headlights....find the brown wire out of it...if you cannot find it...remove the passenger side headlight...there are 2 screws on top of the bracket...remove 'em and pull out the headlight...put your blinker on and it will be the light that does not blink...find a good spot to splice the 12" wire into...tape it up and test it....if good, your fog lights should come on with your parking lights...which is the middle position on your headlight switch...your headlight switch has 3 symbols above it..... 1. off 2. parking lights 3. low beams (headlights)....and voila!!!! you have fog lights with your parking lights! Congrats, you have successfully conquered this MOD, enjoy!

To do MOD #2: 30 min. job (fog lights at any time)
First, grab a spare wire that is about 8-10 (FEET) long and connect one end to the BLUE/GREEN wire that is coming OUT of the relay box...then run it underneathe the relay box and around going above by your heatercore hoses...(stay away from the headers!!!!) then run 'em under the egde in your engine compartment going to your windshield wiper motor, then run 'em down under your brake booster and master cylinder, there should be a big rubber grommet about 3" in diameter...then go inside and poke a hole in it with a screwdriver....it should be by your brake pedel...then push a spare 4 foot wire thru it...not all the way! just enough so you can grab it on the other side...then tape both ends together...(the 4 foot and the 8-10 foot wire)....then pull on the 4 foot wire from inside leading them both inside...(BE CAREFUL) look in the engine compartment and make sure you are not caught on anything...if not...proceed on pulling the wire thru...once you did that...take off your radio dash bezel using a 7mm socket...there are two screws underneathe it abovt your hvac controls....then pull it off and all the harnesses behind it...then run your 8-10 foot wire up and thru dash until you see it...grab it and pull it thru your radio dash bezel hole...cut what ever is left leaving at least a 5" slack...then splice it into the RED/BLACK wire coming out of your stereo...this wire is your ignition wire which is hot when you turn the key...tape it up PLUG EVERYTHING BACK IN and test it out....and your fog lights should come on when your key is in accessories and at start up, also, in all 3 positions on your headlight switch....off, parking lights, low beams, and high beams....if so, voila!!!! you have fog lights at any time with a push of your button! Congrats, you have successfully conquered this MOD, enjoy it!!!

You see, this MOD isnt hard at all! I went thru this step by step, you should not have any problems with this, if so, post reply....good luck

just tried this myself. It was easy because of you guys posting advice. i love the way their look and work. Thanks again.

No problem...glad to help...

anyone know where the relay is on a 93 limited??

Have a helper in the veh. turn on & off the fogs and listen to the clicking of the relay. W/engine off you should be able to hear it and track it down.

Kinda like day time running lights???

I would like the info as well!!!
You are talking about having the fogs on any time the vehicle is running, wether the lights are on or not, right???
Right now they are on when the parking lights are on and the low beams are on and go off when you hit the highs.
Thanks...

Back