How to install a tailpipe?

rahst12

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '91 XL
Hi everyone,
My tailpipe rusted off my '91 4x4 explorer. After looking under it, it turns out I had to replace everything up to the catalytic converter.

I got all the pieces off... Hard part - putting the new ones on. Has anyone had any experience putting the tailpipe/resonator on? I spent several hours twisting/pushing/jacking up the rear tire/etc to fit the new one back in.

No luck as of yet.

Thanks

-Ryan

Jack up the rear of the vehicle by the frame until your right rear suspension is at full travel. From there, the tail pipe section will snake in, though it is very difficult to find the right way to snake it in. You may also need to remove the spare tire to get it in. Attach it to the muffler and the rest of the exhaust system AFTER it is installed under the vehicle.

If you can lift the vehicle high enough, you can snake the tail pipe in from the front of the axle back much easier. However, with the tires still near the ground, it is possible to snake it in from the back of the axle forward, just, as I said, very difficult.

Thanks! Worked like a charm. Jacked it up just in front of the tire on the frame. The tailpipe took about 2 minutes of fitting when I realized I had to turn it upside down first, and it twisted right into place.

Back