How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex

Nice job posting the amp measurements tommyarmour :thumbsup:

People reading this post keep in mind with the OEM stuff:
  • there are different amp dimensions
  • there are different quantities of amps
  • there are different enclosure designs
  • there are different enclosure speaker opening sizes
  • there are different internal enclosure air spaces
  • there are different grill covers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would put it on the inside, so the pressure does not push it out.

I have not used the OEM enclosures with the magnet screw/bolt. Is that hole threaded?

Best would be on the inside... No, it isn't threaded, it is the bolt hole that allows the bolt to go into the magnet on the stock sub. Just a pass through with a shoulder bolt.

Good idea on the plug. Good call on the differences. i.e. my stock amp looks nothing like the last one. Also pics in this thread showing different sub boxes etc. I would never have know it if it wasnt for this thread.

Hey Joe, I am going to be running wires for a new amp in the near future. I wanted to make absolutely sure of a few things before I get started.

When I disconnect the old amp, does the old amp have anything to do with the door speakers? For instance when I get the new amp all hooked up and running, Can I just unplug the amp from the HEAD UNIT? And just leave the old the amp and speaker plugged in behind the panel.

This is what I ended up doing I bought a 12w6 v2 D4 sub in a enclosure built to fit a Ford Explorer(it's a pretty big box), and ordered a JL Audio JX 500/1 amp last night.

I already have a thread started somewhere else since it's not appropriate for this thread. I just needed to know about the factory amp. And what it's wired to? And what happen's when I disconnect it from the head unit? If the amp is wired to any of the door speakers?

Thanks I really do appreciate all you have done for us by starting and maintaining this thread. I am going to run my amp wires the exact same way as you did.

I don't think the sub in yours has anything to the doors, but I don't know what side of the amp it would get signal from. Ford does weird crap on wiring, and they may run the signal through somehow for the crossovers. Sorry I can't help on that one. If nothing else, you can unplug it and see what the speakers sound like or if they make sound at all if the amp is unplugged. The '99 would use an internal amp in the factory head unit for the speakers.

The amp looks different b/c the '91-'97 have an external amp for the speakers, and a second one for the sub, they didn't use the same amp when it changed over in '98 so it would be slightly different...

I don't think the sub in yours has anything to the doors, but I don't know what side of the amp it would get signal from. Ford does weird crap on wiring, and they may run the signal through somehow for the crossovers. Sorry I can't help on that one. If nothing else, you can unplug it and see what the speakers sound like or if they make sound at all if the amp is unplugged. The '99 would use an internal amp in the factory head unit for the speakers.

The amp looks different b/c the '91-'97 have an external amp for the speakers, and a second one for the sub, they didn't use the same amp when it changed over in '98 so it would be slightly different...

Thanks for the response, I guess the worst I would have to do is, take the panel off and just unplug the speaker wire plug from the amp. But I will try to unplug from the head unit first.

But come to think of it, I listened to my tunes on the way to True Value Hardware, with my sub and amp unplugged. That is when I drove down to get the plug. Sounded like crap not having any bass. But I do believe I heard sound from all the speakers.

I read back over this thread the other day and just thought I read about someone having this problem, and they were worried about running new speaker wire to the door speakers. So I figured I would ask the thread starter.

Anyway thanks again JOE, you have been very valuable with your pics and tutorial. Have a great day. :thumbsup:

On my 95, as Joe said, I have a seperate amp that powers all the speakers (not sub obviosly). When the sub is disconnected there is no sound to the speakers. I did that to see how much Bass there was coming from the Sub. And not much no matter how many different settings I tried (compact Kenwood 2 channel).

On my 95, as Joe said, I have a seperate amp that powers all the speakers (not sub obviosly). When the sub is disconnected there is no sound to the speakers. I did that to see how much Bass there was coming from the Sub. And not much no matter how many different settings I tried (compact Kenwood 2 channel).

Just to make sure I am going to unplug the special adapter plug for the amp that I got from Crutchfield that connects from the Head Unit to the amp. I kind of wish I had a separate amp to the door speaker's I am certainly going to need one after hooking the sub and amp combo I just bought.

I am going to be pulling the amp and enclosure out of mine. If anyone is interested let me know.

Hey Joe, I finally ran all my wiring today. I could not for the life of me find a good ground under the seats. I see where you put your ground I have the seat plates covering where you did your ground. You know those plates that lay down with the seats. So in order to get to a spot like that I would have to pull the plates off to get where you grounded at.

Anyway it was dark when I was doing all this, so I assume if I tear the carpet up a little bit more I might be able to find a better ground. I also bought the worst wiring kit ever. American something rather is the name (american accessories) I am going to have to replace the fusible link, and some of the connectors. Just lame. If you know of any other ground spot under the seats let me know. I tried to yank the seatbelt and get my ground under there, that was a joke.

I am going to be pulling the amp and enclosure out of mine. If anyone is interested let me know.

You can't sell on the forum unless you're an "Elite" member (link above on teh header) so please don't post it in this thread.

...If you know of any other ground spot under the seats let me know. I tried to yank the seatbelt and get my ground under there, that was a joke.

I did mine when I had the interior removed. If you undo the 5 bolts holding the rear carpet spring hinge in, you can get access to some nice sheet metal under there. :)

You can't sell on the forum unless you're an "Elite" member (link above on the header) so please don't post it in this thread.

I did mine when I had the interior removed. If you undo the 5 bolts holding the rear carpet spring hinge in, you can get access to some nice sheet metal under there. :)

Can you put the rear carpet spring hinge back on after you ground, or will that be obsolete once you put a ground there?

I opted to ground temporarily towards the back of the vehicle. Found out my new amp ordered from amazon was dead on arrival. In order to test my wiring I pulled a amp out of the attic and it wasn't my wiring. :(

And the fuse was checked on the amp from amazon, Correct?
Just thinking. I need to re-read to find where to pic up the wires for the line level convertor from.

Sure- I have mine coming out from under the carpet hings, so it doesn't get worn loose.

Benji- you can pick up the wires for the line-level at the base of the B-pillar behind the trim, where the speaker wire goes to the door.

Be nice if they just had a aftermarket hit that was already mounted and you just had to swap it out with the oem one. Looks crazy for me since I'm not a audio guru

They did, it was almost $500

Jesus, I knew better than to get started. I just picked up a Kenwood DNX-7180 Head Unit to go with all my other new toys. It all started with a 8" Kenwood shallow mount sub. ARG

Jesus, I knew better than to get started. I just picked up a Kenwood DNX-7180 Head Unit to go with all my other new toys. It all started with a 8" Kenwood shallow mount sub. ARG

hahahaha isnt that how it always starts lol.

I am looking to do this also on my 3rd gen. Picked up a 2nd gen enclosure with sub at a u pull it yard for cheap. probably wont fit but it wasnt a big deal.

Ya- they're a different horse, might need a sawzall and a sledge. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya- they're a different horse, might need a sawzall and a sledge. :D

I soon realized they were lol. I was thinking about modding it but Ill just try to find a 3rd gen enclosure somewhere.

Back