How to install flip-down LCD in 2003 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install flip-down LCD in 2003 Explorer?

sidogg

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer EB
How do I go about installing a flip-down LCD in my 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer? I'm talking about this kind:

flip-down-tft2.jpg

I know it needs to screw into the headliner, but:

1. Will that support it's weight?
2. Do I need some kind of backing plate to screw/bolt it into which goes on the other side of the headliner? I noticed some of these flip-downs do come with a metal-looking mounting plate, but it seems like the way it's designed that still needs to go on the bottom of the headliner and then the main unit snaps onto that to cover up the screw mounts and wiring...
3. I have to drill holes for wiring right? :(
4. We have a sunroof, so will the sunroof visor (inside cover) be blocked if I install this (for 2nd and 3rd row passengers to view)??

Has anyone done this already and, if so, got any install pics? I'm pretty good with 12v A/V setups, but I've never done headliner mods like this, and certainly none which involved sunroofs being nearby.. :)

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't even try to put on in an explorer with a sunroof. I always tell people to go with headrest monitors in your case.

Oh man, are you for real? My daughter sits in a car seat in the center, so a flip-down, center-mounted LCD would be best, imho.. :-\

Actually I apologize, after looking at your picture I see that you want to just put in an overhead monitor, not a DVD player with monitor. It can be done. Especially in the case where what you are installing is so light (slave monitor) When I do this I put a thin board up on the top of the headliner and then screw the unit up into that. Yes you will have to have a hole in your headliner to run wires down to the monitor. When drilling into the board make sure that you are not using screws that will go through and block your sunroof door when it is open. I can't remember if the sunroof sliding door goes into a sleeve or not, I believe it does, so you should be in pretty good shape as far as not inhibiting the movement of the slider. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows if the sliding door goes into a sleeve or just sits on top of the headliner.

Thanks superedge88.. Do you know what thickness board to use? I'm guessing no more than like 1/4" right, because there is not much room up there if the sunroof is open.. ???

How did you run the wires?? Can you feed them to the A pillar or B pillar or something??

Anyone else have any ideas??

yea.. the 1/4 board will work.just something sturdy. The monitor doesnt weigh that much anyways. The easiest way to run the wires is straights across to the doors. Run the wires down the side then run them through the kick plates/ door jams.. whatever you call them and take it from there. -TJ

Back