how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry

I have push button start. I want to be able to unlock all the doors from the drivers side while still outside the vehicle. I have the drivers door set as the only door to unlock when I put my hand in the handle. Is there a way to unlock the other doors without having to get out my IA fob or opening the door and hitting the unlock button on the door. I tried touching 3/4 on side panel, but that didn't work. (For those of you who think I'm just lazy - sometimes I just want to put something in the back seat or open the back door first for someone before I get in.)
Welcome to the Forum doinit10.:wavey: The answer is to your question is YES. I have mine set up so that all doors unlock when I grab the driver's side handle. The set up is in the Owner's Guide under Locks and Security/Power door lock switch autolock enable/disable procedure.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

I did some searching and the instructions can be found on page 136 of the 2011 Explorer Owner Guide 4th printing:

“In order to override the smart unlock feature and intentionally lock the IA key inside the vehicle, you can lock your vehicle after all doors are closed by using the keyless entry keypad, pressing the [lock] control on another IA key or touching the locking area on the handle with another IA key in your hand. Refer to Keyless entry system in this chapter for more information on keyless entry keypad operation.

When you open one of the front doors and you lock the vehicle using the driver or passenger power door lock control (with the vehicle not in P (Park) and the ignition off, or the ignition on), all doors will lock, then all doors will automatically unlock reminding you that the vehicle is not in P (Park) or the ignition is on.”

I thought I had read somewhere if you left the Intelligent Access Key in the car and locked it using the [7/8] [9/0] key press method the Intelligent Access Key would be deactivated and could not start the car unless the passcode was entered on the keypad or another authorized Intelligent Access Key was present to unlock the car...
1sttimeford,

I also found the Intelligent Access Key wouldn’t be deactivated if the car is locked using the key fob or another IA Key.

I have push button start. I want to be able to unlock all the doors from the drivers side while still outside the vehicle...
doinit10,

The following information can be found on page 150 of the 2011 Explorer Owner Guide 4th printing:

“To unlock all doors, enter the factory set code or your personal code, then press the 3 • 4 control within five seconds.”

My recommendation is to make sure you’re pressing the 3/4 control within five seconds.

You can also find the instructions for “Power door lock switch autounlock enable/disable procedure”, like peterk9 said, on page 138.

If you’d like a free copy of your Owner Guide, you can go to the URL: http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage and select your vehicle from the drop down boxes. :)

Cory

I have push button start. I want to be able to unlock all the doors from the drivers side while still outside the vehicle. I have the drivers door set as the only door to unlock when I put my hand in the handle. Is there a way to unlock the other doors without having to get out my IA fob or opening the door and hitting the unlock button on the door. I tried touching 3/4 on side panel, but that didn't work. (For those of you who think I'm just lazy - sometimes I just want to put something in the back seat or open the back door first for someone before I get in.)

Thank you for the replies. However, I want to leave the driver door only setting because my wife sometimes works at night so for her protection, I want only the driver door to open while carrying the IA fob in her purse. I know I can use the key panel to unlock the door and then 3/4 for the rest of the doors. I was hoping that there was a simple way to just put hand in door handle and then something else (without opening door) to open the other doors without digging out my fob. If not, put this on the wish list.

...I know I can use the key panel to unlock the door and then 3/4 for the rest of the doors. I was hoping that there was a simple way to just put hand in door handle and then something else (without opening door) to open the other doors without digging out my fob. If not, put this on the wish list.
I think that would be a great idea to submit to: www.TheFordStory.com so others can rate and leave their comments. :)

Cory

Hey Cory,
The manual states:
"When fully armed (after the 20 second pre-arm mode), any IA keys (if equipped) found inside the vehicle are disabled/inoperable and will not start the engine." (p.157)

This does not seem to work for myself and others. Is there a setting somewhere that we missed?

Thanks
Bill

Hey Cory,
The manual states:
"When fully armed (after the 20 second pre-arm mode), any IA keys (if equipped) found inside the vehicle are disabled/inoperable and will not start the engine." (p.157)

This does not seem to work for myself and others. Is there a setting somewhere that we missed?

Thanks
Bill
Bill, just to be accurate, I did not wait the 20 seconds for the alarm to arm itself. Since I was not aware of the above, that may explain why it did not work in my case. I now found that paragraph on p.159 of my manual. Thank you.

Peter

Bill, just to be accurate, I did not wait the 20 seconds for the alarm to arm itself. Since I was not aware of the above, that may explain why it did not work in my case. I now found that paragraph on p.159 of my manual. Thank you.

Peter

Peter, Did you have a chance to try this? I left my keys in the car for 30 min and was still able start it

Peter, Did you have a chance to try this? I left my keys in the car for 30 min and was still able start it

I understand the method where peterk9 reached around from the back seat and used the keypad to lock the vehicle and then tried to start it but stated he did not wait the 20 seconds for the alarm to kick in.

How did you wait 30 minutes? were you inside the vehicle that whole time?

I will have to test this when I get a chance.

I will shut the vehicle off
Open the drivers door and pretend to exit the vehicle.
Close the drivers door with me and the key inside.
Have my wife arm the vehicle with the keypad. (leaving all windows up)
Wait the required time as stated in the manual.
Try to start the car.

According to the manual, the key should be disabled and the car should not start. It states nothing about the vehicles alarm having to be triggered.

Hey Bill. I again locked myself in the back seat. I lowered the back door window and I had both driver's door and left rear door open when I placed the keyfob on the middle console. I closed the driver's door, got in the back, closed the door, reached out and locked the vehicle using the keypad. I then sat there for a minute and then reached over to press the start button. The left hand display came up "No Key Detected". I tried pressing the start button again and got the same result. I guess that this indicates that the keyfob did indeed deactivate.
It still is not fool proof because all you have to do is press the 'Unlock' button on the keyfob and it is activated again. Granted, someone would have to know to do this but it is not totally secure. Best and safest thing to do is take the keyfob with you.

Peter

It still is not fool proof because all you have to do is press the 'Unlock' button on the keyfob and it is activated again.

Peter

Did you test this part too?

I thought it was disabled until unlocked with the keypad or another IA key.

If indeed you were able to press the unlock button on the IA key that was left inside the car, then I would consider that a bug according to the way it's suppose to work.

Did you test this part too?

I thought it was disabled until unlocked with the keypad or another IA key.

If indeed you were able to press the unlock button on the IA key that was left inside the car, then I would consider that a bug according to the way it's suppose to work.
That was what I was wondering as well. I reactivated the IA key using the 'Unlock' button on the keyfob I had locked in the vehicle.

I wonder if the drivers seat sensor detected a person sitting in the drivers seat would that change anything?

Just to be clear:

1. Hitting the lock button on the door does not work. Once the door is closed the horn beeps letting you know that you are walking away from your unlocked Ex with the key inside.

2. Getting out and locking via the keypad (pressing 7/8 and 9/0 simultaneously) works.

3. Locking with the key fob lock button also works.

Overall it's a very cool feature. My brother had a 1990 LSC and he said he never carried his keys around. Always used the keypad to get in the car. Our modern day Ex takes it to the next level allowing us to start it without the key. Man o man is technology making us lazy :)

I know for sure in Spokane, WA it is illegal to leave an unoccupied vehicle running. If law enforcement finds one they will issue a citation. Very common here in the winter.

I use the key fob. When weather is hot, I leave the car running & locked with A/C on so I can run into the store for a minute without worrying about heat making the dog sick or worse.

Dave

All this talk about locking the fob in the car got me curious. Especially since the wife is apprehensive about leaving it in the car.

I put the fob in the car, rolled down the driver's side window, closed the door and locked the car using the 7/8 and 9/0 keys.

I waited a couple of minutes to make sure everything had reset, then reached into the car and opened it from the inside. At this point, the display said that the alarm was activated. Then the horn started honking. The display said to start the car to turn off the alarm. At this point I put my foot on the brake and pressed the start button. The display read "no key detected"

I closed the door, and entered my pass code on the keypad, then got into the car and tried to start it, and it worked perfectly.

So, it looks like that if you lock the fob in the car, and lock it with the key pad, the fob is deactivated, and you cannot start the vehicle without entering your passcode on the keypad to reactivate it.

Hope this helps every one, I know that it satisfied my curiosity!

All this talk about locking the fob in the car got me curious. Especially since the wife is apprehensive about leaving it in the car.

I put the fob in the car, rolled down the driver's side window, closed the door and locked the car using the 7/8 and 9/0 keys.

I waited a couple of minutes to make sure everything had reset, then reached into the car and opened it from the inside. At this point, the display said that the alarm was activated. Then the horn started honking. The display said to start the car to turn off the alarm. At this point I put my foot on the brake and pressed the start button. The display read "no key detected"

I closed the door, and entered my pass code on the keypad, then got into the car and tried to start it, and it worked perfectly.

So, it looks like that if you lock the fob in the car, and lock it with the key pad, the fob is deactivated, and you cannot start the vehicle without entering your passcode on the keypad to reactivate it.

Awesome. Great testing - thanks! This will come in very handy when I'm at the beach. No longer will I bring my keys with me out onto the sand.

I love this function! I use it all the time when I go running, biking, swimming, or just anytime I don't want my keys in my pocket.

To reactivate the keyfob all you have to do is press the 'Unlock' button on the fob. Not really secure if you plan to leave your keyfob locked in the vehicle.

To reactivate the keyfob all you have to do is press the 'Unlock' button on the fob. Not really secure if you plan to leave your keyfob locked in the vehicle.

You're forgetting the fact that you still need to enter your code in order to enter the vehicle. How is that not secure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're forgetting the fact that you still need to enter your code in order to enter the vehicle. How is that not secure?

I don't think too many car thieves are going to worry about using the code to gain entry. They just break in. If they then find the fob, they could knowingly or accidently activate it and simply drive away. Bye, bye Ex.

Back