How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS

I'll work on pictures for you in the light tomorrow. As for does it feel factory or diy. I'd say it only seems diy because I have mine a little tight and it could probably use some grease. Other than that it seems completely factory. If anyone was to use my car they wouldn't know it wasn't stock I just have it set kinda stiff. So I have to push and pull. With some extra sanding or grease it would move more easily.
Any thing else you need to ask go right ahead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll work on pictures for you in the light tomorrow. As for does it feel factory or diy. I'd say it only seems diy because I have mine a little tight and it could probably use some grease. Other than that it seems completely factory. If anyone was to use my car they wouldn't know it wasn't stock I just have it set kinda stiff. So I have to push and pull. With some extra sanding or grease it would move more easily.
Any thing else you need to ask go right ahead.

Thank you. :salute:

When I first bought my 3rd gen XP, I noticed the column seemed to have a "bellows" type collar. It seemed to indicate that the column would telescope. But, it would not. I just felt that with the seat all the way back, reaching the steering wheel was only feasable for a guy of 6'10"! So, when I found this thread....a bit late I might add, I jumped on it. Now I keep mine fully exteded all the way out, and like it a good bit better than it was. The factory layout seems, to me anyway, to be such that I have to cramp my legs to be comfortable with the distance to the steering wheel. If my leg to pedal distance was "right", the distance to the steering wheel had me stretching forward to reach it!! Now, it fits just right! I got about 1 1/2" more extension out of this mod. Not as much as I might like, but better.

Similar here im still knee to colounm often. Update on pictures, I scheduled for class today which ate up dayligjt as there were errors on campus side. Tomorrow will be on the water mostly, match agains IU. Then im hoping to still have enough light to get pictures. We'll hope for the best

Okay here they are. I never thought about how far the mod actually allows to wheel to move until HCCA said something, doesn't seem like much but it helps.
So to help for result replication and to see if you would like to do it I set my seat as low as it goes front and back bottomed out and seat as far forward as possible.

Up and In
2012-11-03161432.jpg

I hope I didn't mix those up. I might need to take different pictures as those don't tell much.
To me it looks like the best reference spot id the oh sh** handle as u can see where the wheel is vs it. I tried to take the picture from the same location every time, hard to tell without a tripod

Can you buy the part made for an Explorer with telescoping function so nothing needs to be ground off? My little ones are always curious and hang around during daylight hours when I do car stuff so grinding, sawing etc would probably be dangerous LOL.

I think the only way is to use the parts off of our own car

I still move mine every now and then, still feels like a factory job, the only other car I owned that had a telescopic wheel was my Cadillac (and loved it ).

Did the mod and love having a new option for free.
Thanks for the right up.

I will be doing this mod this weekend - the missus will love it (her one complaint is that the steering wheel doesn't go in and out)!

On behalf of tall folks everywhere, thank you sir.

On behalf of tall folks everywhere, thank you sir.

Why would this be better for tall guys? My wingspan is 7' and I wouldn't want my wheel any closer than it already is.

For me it gives a greater range of arm positions. I like to rest my arm on the door sill and steer with my wrist/hand when cruising. With the telescoping wheel I can do it more comfortably, before I had no choice but to reach in the air.

For me it gives a greater range of arm positions. I like to rest my arm on the door sill and steer with my wrist/hand when cruising. With the telescoping wheel I can do it more comfortably, before I had no choice but to reach in the air.

My arms must just be longer than yours. I can rest my arm on the doorsill and steer.

Why would this be better for tall guys? My wingspan is 7' and I wouldn't want my wheel any closer than it already is.

This mod also allows the wheel to push toward the dash giving you more room for your long arms.

This mod also allows the wheel to push toward the dash giving you more room for your long arms.

Which is what I also prefer when city driving, exactly.

It only only moves 1" to 1.5" close to the driver, but it will go around 0.5" to 1" away from the driver too.

Job done - took about 45 mins.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am here to verify on the Fourth Gen Ex/ 2nd gen Trac. I just got done taking my column apart. And, it no worky, the steering column is completely different. It is in fact a stamped and folded steel unit and has absolutely no provision for movement front to back. I guess Ford engineers figured that the adjustable pedals was enough for us...

Back