How-To: Mirrortap install for 2016+ Explorer (for Radar Detector / Dash Cam) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How-To: Mirrortap install for 2016+ Explorer (for Radar Detector / Dash Cam)

Lhymes

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
I couldn't find any info about installing a Mirrortap in a 2016+ Explorer, so I decided to work it out and make a video / slideshow. This shows you how to tap a keyed, 12v power circuit in the rear view mirror for installing a hardwired radar detector or dash cam. I did this in my 2016 Platinum, but it's applicable for all models with lane keep and might possibly be applicable for models without lane keep if they have the same connector under the cover(s). I hope it's helpful for someone and any feedback is appreciated. I might do more videos down the line (was considering installing a dvd headrest system).

Link:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't find any info about installing a Mirrortap in a 2016+ Explorer, so I decided to work it out and make a video / slideshow. This shows you how to tap a keyed, 12v power circuit in the rear view mirror for installing a hardwired radar detector or dash cam. I did this in my 2016 Platinum, but it's applicable for all models with lane keep and might possibly be applicable for models without lane keep if they have the same connector under the cover(s). I hope it's helpful for someone and any feedback is appreciated. I might do more videos down the line (was considering installing a dvd headrest system).

Link:

Nice work and great detail.

2018 Wiretapping the rearview mirror?

After searching the forum and watching a couple of youtube videos, I *thought* that running the black wire on the wiretap to the black wire and the red wire to the yellow was what I should do (using the smaller harness of the two). However, no matter what configuration I used for the red wire, I can't seem to get switched power to my radar detector. My volt meter is evidently too large to get a good contact and I'm wondering if the metal pieces on my wiretap are too large or if I'm using the wrong wires. I even ordered a second wiretap to try just in case the first one was defective. Thanks so much!

Screenshot_20180509-215740_Gallery.jpg

Try using slots 1 and 4

Will do, thanks.

So what was the result rusar?

My installation finished well, but had a detour along the way.

No matter how hard I tried, the blades would NOT seat into the wire socket. I tried, and tried without ANY luck at all.

Not to be out-done by a modification or such a simple challenge, I did what every "real" man would do, I snipped off the blades, peeled back the +/- wires near the plug and made the connection.

Not the best of procedures.......but the outcome is as intended.

Good luck everyone.

Looking to take a tap from always on power to map light. Any help?

Hi,

I’ve got a 2016 Explorer Sport and looking into tapping to the power supply of the rear view mirror for a dash cam.

Has anyone done this? Is there a wiring diagram for the rear view mirror I believe there are like 5 cables and can’t seem to find a diagram.

Welcome to the Forum Miguel.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. There isn't much that hasn't been discussed here.

Peter

Link:

I assume you've seen this thread? - Thinkware F750 front & rear dashcam hardwire install (Ford Explorer 2011-2017)

Just wanted to say thank you!!!! Your pin outs on the white connector worked for my 2018 Explorer with the lane keep camera.

Link:

Back