How to remove a broken antenna bolt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove a broken antenna bolt?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
My antenna was snapped off by an automatic car wash a few months ago and I now have the time to replace it. I purchased an screw extractor but can’t get it to thread into the broken bolt. I’m wondering if removing the antenna nut will give me better access to the broken bolt. But I can’t seem to get it off. I can turn it left and right, but it only goes to the left half a turn and won’t loosen anymore. Could it just be stuck? The nut is deforming and I don’t want to round it. It’s a non power antenna. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an idea, but is a little hard to tell what you have going on...

Keep torquing the nut. No big loss if it breaks...

Because then you might saw most of the antennae assembly off from the top? Maybe use a hack saw. Tape off your paint in the area to avoid scratches. Then drop the remaining piece of antennae out?

Just an idea. Good luck.

Just an idea, but is a little hard to tell what you have going on...

Keep torquing the nut. No big loss if it breaks...

Because then you might saw most of the antennae assembly off from the top? Maybe use a hack saw. Tape off your paint in the area to avoid scratches. Then drop the remaining piece of antennae out?

Just an idea. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. My antenna snapped and the base of the antenna is stuck in the assembly. I have a new antenna to replace the broken one, but the broken bolt of the old antenna is still in the assembly so I can’t screw the new antenna in.

IIRC the threaded stud is part of the base, not part of the antenna. If the stud snapped off from the base I don't think there's any saving the base. If the broken part of the stud is lodged in the antenna and you can't get it out I'd just buy a replacement antenna (under $20) or get one from a salvage yard. What am I not understanding?

IIRC the threaded stud is part of the base, not part of the antenna. If the stud snapped off from the base I don't think there's any saving the base. If the broken part of the stud is lodged in the antenna and you can't get it out I'd just buy a replacement antenna (under $20) or get one from a salvage yard. What am I not understanding?

Apologies if the original post is confusing. The bottom of the original antenna with the threads is stuck in the assembly. It stayed behind when the rest of the antenna snapped off. So I can’t thread the new antenna in until I remove the old one.

Here’s the antenna that broke. The rest of it is stuck in the assembly.

4F393398-699D-43EE-A4E4-A249073FD236.jpeg

I think your may be hosed, but you cant try this... center punch a dimple into the center of the broken piece in the assembly. Take a drill and drill a hole into the broken stud. The use larger drill bits until you have a hole larger enough to fit the tip a small screw driver blade into the hole and tap it in with a hammer to lock it in place. Then try to unscrew the broken bit. You can try a screw extractor, but the small sizes tend to break as they're very brittle.

If this doesn't work you're going to need to replace the antenna base assembly.

Only way to remove the broken antenna mast stud is by drilling a pilot hole and using a small screw extractor. Hardest part will be centering the hole with a punch. Threads are around 1/4" and should not require much torque to loosen and remove. Unfortunately, using heat is NOT an option. Spray penetrant may help. Picture of the broken stud inside the fender mount?

Get a base assembly from a junkyard. They can't be very expensive. My local u-pull-n-save junkyard lists a manual antenna at $2.99, though I'd assume that's the mast but it gives you an idea that they don't want much for parts like this. An entire power antenna is $12.99.

IIRC the biggest hassle then is just having to remove the wheel and wheel well liner to swap it.

The salvage yard is the place to go for a replacement antenna and/or base.

Tip: To remove the antenna base you need to drop the passenger side plastic inner fender to get at a bolt that holds it on, plus there are 2 bolts/screws under the plastic base cap. Also, you may need to pull the antenna lead out through the body if it doesn't screw onto the base assembly. IIRC the lead does screw on to the base assembly though.

Back