How-To Remove Overhead Map/Sunroof Panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How-To Remove Overhead Map/Sunroof Panel

foofighter

Reaction score
City, State
The OC, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer/Flex EB
I tried search for these key words but nothing turns up. I want to tap into the switched circuit for the sunroof switch so that I can run our V1 Radar Detector vs running down into the fuse panel.

Is there anyone that's popped out this panel? This is for the 2013 Explorer Limited.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried search for these key words but nothing turns up. I want to tap into the switched circuit for the sunroof switch so that I can run our V1 Radar Detector vs running down into the fuse panel.

Is there anyone that's popped out this panel? This is for the 2013 Explorer Limited.

TIA

just put your fingers under the rim and pull :) it pops right out...

On my XLT with sunroof I did exactly what you are intending to do, on my new Sport I have no sunroof so I tapped into the top of the wires that run down to the rear view mirror. Either would work for you.

ok thanks, i didnt see any hidden screws inside the sunglass holder just didnt want to yank and end up breaking something. I would normally tap the rear view as well but on the wife's package it's got lane departure/rain sensor etc so there's no wiring going to the rear view mirror.

Yep, that's all there is too it. I found pulling down from the front is the easiest. In fact, I just finished doing this about 30 minutes ago as I put in a cig. adapter for a cig charger for my Android phone when I use it on GPS.

awesome thanks everyone. I'll document, car is a week old and wife might be a bit nervous with me pulling on interior pieces LOL

Stealth Cord

Check out stealth cords. Made to tap your rear view mirror without any problems and come with a connector for your detector. Less aggravation. Also Blend mount attaches to the rearview to mount the detector. Looks great and looks almost factory.:usa::usa::usa:;)

@slimhaven, that would have been WAY too easy. My Flex was a 1 minute job, her explorer has not connectors on the back of the mirror soooo makes things a bit more challenging

@mikecallery - i popped the overhead panel off; not difficult at all just muster enough courage to pull just hard enough. Question for you when you tapped the power which wires did you tap for the sunroof switch? I really need to get a power meter to test circuits

Glad you got it pulled apart.

Before everyone began to say "pull the power from the sunroof switch", I went in there with my meter, not really knowing what to expect, and I taped the power coming up to the overhead console lights.

That said, they change around whether the door is open or closed so basically I just wanted to get hot leads when the door was closed and I tested at that stage. The console lights have only three wires so I just probed them until I got a hot and common with the door closed.

That said, crap, I hope that they aren't a circuit that was powering the lights until they dimmed out. I need to go check that out.

Someone reading this will hopefully tell you the colors of the wires to be used for the sunroof leads as everything is color coded.

i definitely need to get that multimeter to test. the rear view mirror on my Flex was ideal because when the ACCES ON it was powered and when you powered down the car it shuts off. I think the sunroof switches are powered the same way need to double check

Console - Overhead

Exploded View

N0130194_580_01.jpg

ItemService Part NumberDescription1
Overhead console electrical connector
78519A70
Overhead console
-
Overhead console clips (2 required)
Removal

1. Pull the rear of the overhead console downward to release the retaining clips.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  3. Remove the overhead console.
Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

i definitely need to get that multimeter to test. the rear view mirror on my Flex was ideal because when the ACCES ON it was powered and when you powered down the car it shuts off. I think the sunroof switches are powered the same way need to double check

I used the sunroof switches when I had my XLT. I don't recall which wire I tapped however, I used my multimeter to find the accessory one. The ground was black (I believe the thickest wire in the harness)

Here are some of the wiring for the overhead console and the mirror itself

wiring_1.jpg

wiring_2.jpg

wiring_3.jpg

thank you for this!

where do you get the diagrams from? Is this a source I can pay to download? Or does it require a subscription?

Back