How to remove shift lever on 2006 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove shift lever on 2006 Explorer

phillyfan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer V6
Was hoping someone could help with my problem. I need to replace the gear shift slider (part 7c444) as it ripped when some soda spilled and caused it to get sticky and as lever shifted out of park it ripped at the opening of it where the shifter passes through it. This piece is the black rubber piece that slides back and forth with the shifter to keep the stuff below it covered.

I can get down to the part, I just don't know how to get off the lever. I read about pushing the shroud of the shifter down and experimented with that lightly but it did not feel like it wanted to move and I didn't want to force it. I also read about removing the button to access a screw to pull things off but I don't know if that will give be the same access to replace this part. I also don't know if what I was reading pertains to the '06 Explorer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump, anyone know how to remove the 06+ shift knob? Did a little research and found the top cap is glued on...

the cap is not glued on.. well it wan't on my '06. I just had to get something in there to pry it off.. If you use a flathead, it might leave a mark as it did on mine.. So I just might make a tool for the next time I need to pull it off.

Maybe this will help?

2009-01-28_213526_explorer_bezel.gif

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=part+7c444&view=detail&id=961F555B4FBAAC4F86A61E1352EEAE232074D5A3&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

Here is the link to the article.

How can we repair the steel pin which move with lever forword and back and upside down

Back