How to Remove Windshield Weatherstripping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Remove Windshield Weatherstripping

TedStryker

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cordova, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer 4x4 Limited
Just turned 200K miles on my '93! It's time to do some rust removal and painting of the roof, and I want to remove the windshield weatherstripping. I removed the bottom trim pieces (hard plastic, which appear to be held in by some sort of clips) thinking that I could then just work the rubber seal out of the track. But it's not really coming out and I'm afraid I'm going to damage it. Does anybody have any suggestions or a good procedure for this? Many thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For what it's worth: I'm going to replace the windshield anyway (due to a large crack), so I called a local auto glass dude. He said he'd come out and remove the windshield one day and come back to install the new one another day. (After I'm done painting.) So, problem solved.

They're glued in. I have tried guitar strings, long utility knife blades, sawzall, etc but have not gotten one out intact. They always break. Sounds like that really wasn't an issue for you though, I was trying to remove and reuse.

I had a glass guy put a new windshield in for me on my 94, I think it came out kinda hard.
He might have broken it, I don’t quite remember now.

My glass guy was out today and removed the old windshield. Holy hell, am I glad I didn't try to get the seal out myself. It appeared to be glued in supremely well, but was no match for the professionals' tools and expertise. It came out in several pieces, and certainly non-reusable. Now I know.

Back