Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

how to repair a leaking sun roof in a 1998 ford explorer

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by sylvest70433, December 27, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. sylvest70433

sylvest70433 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 ford explorer
    I have a serous leak in my sun roof. I own a 1998 ford explorer and just love it but it can get pretty wet inside.;)

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 1992fordgreen

1992fordgreen Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Inside the Rehabilitation Center
    95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
    Make sure your sunroof is closed all the way. We all have those idiot kind of moments.

4. Flash

Flash Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Brisbane Australia
    1997 Limited
    And make sure the drains are clear.

5. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    first make sure the sun roof is in fact closed all the way. I've made that mistake.

there are 4 drains (one in each corner). the hoses then run down the "A" and "B" pillars. the drain hoses can pull off the plastic nipples of the sun roof channel. you can glue them back on with silicon adhesive, or perhaps use hose clamps. to get at the drain hoses you have to first drop the headliner panel. there's no way to make sure the drain hoses aren't clogged except by going from the sunroof side.

It's funny, the 4 drain hoses are quite large in diameter. I had a 1937 Ford which had a windshield that could be cranked opened from the bottom. It had a tiny little drain (1/8") in each corner of the opening, but you couldn't pour water into those drains fast enough to make it leak. Gravity I guess... of course being so small they could get clogged pretty easily.

Last edited: December 29, 2014
  6. northman56

northman56 New Member

1997 Explorer 4x4
    I have a 97 4x4 Eddie Bauer, had the same problem, I used my compressor but used a vacuum draw off the end of hose instead, will see if that does it.

7. Toucan

Toucan Active Member

City, State:
    BELIZE
    1998 XLT
    I had leak problems on mine. After doing all that is mentioned here I ended up removing it. The rubber around the glass was deteriorated badly. I then went to a welding shop that had an wreck with a good hood. Got the material from there to seal off the hole. The hardest parts was keeping this cool so as not to break the seal on the windshield. I then purchased a package from another yard which included a headliner from a 2001 that was in mint condition. Clean, no bends nor peeling, nor cracks and perfect fit.