Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to Replace 2011 Explorer Drivers Tail Light Assembly

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by gazellephant, April 1, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gazellephant

gazellephant New Member

City, State:
      Kansas City
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      11 XLT
      Someone backed into my driver's side tail light assembly and cracked it. The dealership wanted $500 for the part alone so I bought one online for half that. The problem is that the original part has a wire harness that is INSIDE the rear quarter panel. The replacement part looks great but i cannot figure out, for the life of me, how to get access to the harness. Hours of internet research has proved fruitless so here I am; hope someone can help!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Chaz1

Chaz1 New Member

Explorer Limited 2011
      I had this same problem. Just took it to my local gas station and they did it in a hour or two for $100.

Panels from the inside have to be removed to access it.

4. crrobbins

crrobbins Member

City, State:
      Stanford, Ky
      2013 Explorer XLT
      Just replaced the right rear tail light assembly on Wife's 2013 XLT. I left the old harness in and just reused old bulbs. Worked great that way. I do think there is some difference in the way the bulbs are inserted in different model years, so that may not be possible. Wife's bulb sockets twisted and pulled straight out. New assembly worked same way. Good luck.

crrobbins

5. MarkM

MarkM Member

City, State:
      Northern Virginia
      2012 Limited 4WD
      Pictures would help us if the new housing you purchased differs from the factory housing.

Otherwise, the bulbs should twist counter-clockwise 45 degrees and come right out.

6. crrobbins

crrobbins Member

City, State:
      Stanford, Ky
      2013 Explorer XLT
      I think some/all of 2011 did not have LED. The bulb sockets inserted differently. May be different than bulbs in later years.

crrobbins