How to Replace Front & Rear Seat Belts (Pictures) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Replace Front & Rear Seat Belts (Pictures)

XLTmodifire

Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT (B4 Autumn Brown)
I started on replacing my filthy seat belts, and wanted to give a "how-to". Difficulty scale from 1-10: 2. This is a VERY easy and simple project that makes a huge difference to you and your passenger as you put the seat belts on for each drive you take.

Here are two of the belts side by side. This is also after I cleaned the originals, and prior to cleaning the replacements:
DSCI2401.jpg

Here are the front belts. First you want to remove the floor bolt:
DSCI2394.jpg

Then remove the plastic trim piece by giving a little tug:
DSCI2396.jpg

Next, unsnap the plastic cover, and remove the bolt from the upper half:
DSCI2392.jpg

Then you will want to remove that plastic cover:
DSCI2395.jpg

Now unbolt the mechanism:
DSCI2398.jpg

You will also find a small black screw on the top of it as well:
DSCI2399.jpg

Now, snake the two upper pieces sideways through the hole of the plastic interior piece:
DSCI2397.jpg

That is it! Bolt the new one in the exact opposite order, and you are good to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now, here is the procedure for the rear seat belts.

Remove the bolt from the bottom of the floor underneath the carpet near the back/side of the rear seats.
DSCI2410.jpg

Remove the bolt from the top part of the seat belt:
DSCI2408.jpg

Remove the hanger hook located just above the door:
DSCI2404.jpg

Remove the screw located at the base of the wheel well under the cargo area carpet:
DSCI2405.jpg

Tug, and pull the interior piece away from the body releasing 2 fasteners from the top of the window:
DSCI2407.jpg

Do the same for the 3 on the bottom of the window:
DSCI2406.jpg

With all this released, you are able to pull the panel out enough to gain access to the mechanism bolt:
DSCI2402.jpg

After replacing the mechanisms, you are able to put everything back together in the exact opposite order. Here are all the belts that have been replaced:
DSCI2409.jpg

Enjoy.

I did this to both of my torx bits trying to remove that bolt at the bottom of the b pillar

0826091930.jpg

YIKES!! Is that due to salt/corrosion from under the truck? *Sorry for the ignorance. No snow where I live*

Mine came out just fine. Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Not that I could tell. However, this was on a junkyard truck, but it appeared to be in nice condition, just a Cash for Clunkers victim. I didn't get underneath to look at it, but I had pulled the seats out of it with little issue. If it was from Virginia originally, I see no reason why there would have been salt/corrosion.

Back