how to replace leaf springs on a 1993 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to replace leaf springs on a 1993 explorer

niteklub79

Reaction score
City, State
CORPUS CHRISTI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 base auto 2wd
Hello all,

My explorer is leaning bad to the drivers side, upon inspecting the leaf springs I found that they are almost completely flat (both sides). I have to replace all 4 shocks and I figured that since I'm down there I should do the leaf springs too - (front springs were done in the early summer).

How difficult of a job is this?
Can I do it myself?
What is the procedure for replacing both sets of leaf springs?
What materials do I need?
About how expensive is it to do both sides?

I hope I can get some good answers, you guys always pull through!

Thanks,

-Mike

The jobs not difficult, but can be a ***** because of rusty bushing bolts.
You can do it yourself with basic hand tools, a jack, and jack stands.
Support the truck on jack stands. Place the jack under the axle on the side your working on. Remove the u-bolts and jack up the axle. Then remove the spring by undoing the shackle bolts. Install is reverse of removal. As far as cost goes, if you buy from a junkyard, you could do it for under $100. If you buy new, $300-$500 depending on what springs you buy.

You could do the f-150 spring swap. Search for the thread, but the basic jist of it is you you remove the f-150 leafs from the main spring, then put them on the Explorer's main leafs. I think to total lift was something like 2" or so...maybe three, I can't remember.

Back