How to reset the mileage odometer when swapping clusters? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to reset the mileage odometer when swapping clusters?

wisedetailz

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
i'm in the middle of swapping clusters and need to know how to reset/reprogram the mileage odometer to reflect my current mileage. i bought a replacement cluster off ebay to swap led bulbs into and then swap out with my current cluster.

any ideas how to reprogram the mileage so it's correct? i've seen some talk about it but no actual directions.

thanks guys/gals! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cant be done. You would have to send it out not even sure where if your interested I can find out. What year veh is it.

I agree. I installed a cluster from a Mounty and discovered then that the mileage "stays" with the cluster. I even checked with the dealer and they couldn't adjust it.

It can be done with a ford VCM. Although they cannot program the new one without reading the information from the old one.

I have my own ids and vcm and I can assure you it cant be done even when I order a cluster I have to give them the mileage before they send it to me. Other wise I get it with 0 miles and I have to document it on the ro. If it is a a digital one. If it has old school type odometer you could disassemble it and change it but you better be good at it. It is very hard to get them lined up and working properly.

damn, well thanks guys.

its an 02 eddie bauer with message center cluster. all digital.

so nothing can be done huh? guess i'll just buy the spare one to use temporarily while i work on my OEM cluster. makes the most since, right?

i would just work on my OEM one and not buy a spare but its my daily driver.

To be honest I dont even think if I sent a cluster out if they would change the mileage I have never tried to do that maybe a legality to it. Be careful sometimes the pats keys have to be reprogrammed to switch clusters.

Just looked in the shop manual it does not say anything about programming keys on an 02 model.

so i should be good to go right?

i'm just going to take out my OEM cluster, solder the LED's as planned, and reinstall it.

in the meantime, i'll just install the donor cluster i bought temporarily while i'm working on my OEM cluster. Make sense right?

sounds good do they both have same message center etc in them. some dont have that. You may lose a funtion here or there but it should operate the guages etc.

the ones with the message center option are more than i want to spend for a temporary solution. i just bought one without the message center for $15 shipped VS $85 shipped.

the donor one will only be installed for a few weeks tops so no biggie.

I checking the factory wiring diagrams the connectors c220a and c220b are the same and have all the same wire circuit numbers and uses in the same location however they have an early build and late build. I dont see any differences for message center or not however the system over view shows early build has two fuses and power wires and the late build has threee fuses and power wires. doesnt make any sense if the connectors are the same where is the third wire. Additionally this is certainly not the first time a ford wiring diagram was incorrect.

thanks for that thread. i hadn't seen that...guess we'll see what happens! i have an 02 explorer and ordered an 02 donor cluster. and hey, if it doesn't work, i'll just modify my trucks cluster and resell the one i bought off ebay.

ideally i just want to take my oem one out, install the donor, work on the oem one, and then swap them again. done deal.

Back