How to: Tow hook installation procedure. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Tow hook installation procedure.

They are about as wide as the little cutout in the plastic bar. I have mine mounted under the nudge bar mounts - actually, my nudge bar mounts use the same bolts as the tow hooks; I just needed a 6mm (1/4") spacer plate between the bottom of the nudge bar bracket and the tow hook.

Hey JCUZ, did your bar come to you so it could be mounted under your tow hooks. Me and N2FORD are bound to something similar to you. Nearest we can seem to come is to have something custom made or cut a bar that is close and weld the mounting plate on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciated all the helpful pictures and instructions when I installed these chrome tow hooks from Carolina Classic Trucks.

http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com/ECP32268-1b.html

When they were shipped the packing list actually indicated they were for an F-150. They are a very tight fit through the opening and because of the bumper sticking out a bit farther on the Aviator than the Exporer, they proturde only enough to connect a small hook. They do look attractive even though only about a 10th of the chrome is visible.

It's a more expensive option but easy and good looking. I have pictures but guess I don't know how to post them without a URL to point to.

I appreciated all the helpful pictures and instructions when I installed these chrome tow hooks from Carolina Classic Trucks.

http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com/ECP32268-1b.html

When they were shipped the packing list actually indicated they were for an F-150. They are a very tight fit through the opening and because of the bumper sticking out a bit farther on the Aviator than the Exporer, they proturde only enough to connect a small hook. They do look attractive even though only about a 10th of the chrome is visible.

It's a more expensive option but easy and good looking. I have pictures but guess I don't know how to post them without a URL to point to.

$75 each???? $150 for the pair??? Damn... to expensive for me...
When I read your post I thought Id like to change mine out for chrome.. but I cant do it at that price.
I bet they look good though!

If you want to post pictures...get a free account with www.photobucket.com
upload your pictures there. Below each uploaded picture there will be "tags"
Copy the IMG tag and paste it directly in your response here... The picture will show.

Cool. Yes, they're expensive but I splurged.

Here's the pics

AFW32268.jpg

IMG00002-20090730-2051.jpg

IMG00003-20090730-2051.jpg

Yeah they are nice for sure...
I wonder if that chrome paint would look any good... nah.. would probably cheapen mine...

I like chrome though!

Good question.
I did some research on the sheer strength of 1/2" bolts.
Found http://www.rockcrawler.com/

Grade 5 is 14730 lbs
Grade 8 is 17870 lbs
I'm a year late but these figures arent always true as it assumes that the threaded section isnt in shear or interface of the materials being fastened together. If it is (the threaded section is in shear), then you have to factor in the fact that the threads are cut into the bolts' body therefore reducing the bolt's radius, diameter, and cross sectional area. So a good estimate for the shear strength when the threaded section is in shear is to use the numbers for the bolt size 1/8" smaller. Example: a 1/2" bolt can be assumed as having a shear capability of a 3/8" bolt (9888 for Gr5 and 12360 for Gr8) when the threaded section is within the shear / interface of the materials being fastened together.

I'm a year late but these figures arent always true as it assumes that the threaded section isnt in shear. If it is (the threaded section is in shear), then you have to factor in the fact that the threads are cut into the bolts' body therefore reducing the bolt's radius, diameter, and cross sectional area. So a good estimate for the shear strength when the threaded section is in shear is to use the figure for the bolt size 1/8" smaller. So a 1/2" bolt can be assumed as having a shear capability of a 3/8" bolt (9888 for Gr5 and 12360 for Gr8) when the threaded section is within the shear / interface of the two materials being fastened together.

Makes complete sense...:thumbsup:

Since you mention it, I expect that's correct. However, wouldn't you consider the combined strength of the two bolts?

With more thought, I suppose it depends on the angle of the pull.

Hey JCUZ, did your bar come to you so it could be mounted under your tow hooks. Me and N2FORD are bound to something similar to you. Nearest we can seem to come is to have something custom made or cut a bar that is close and weld the mounting plate on.

I completely missed this question. My bar is off a different car altogether; I just had to modify the mounts to suit the explorer, and with holes drilled in the right spot, the bar fitted extremely well. My bar did come with horizontal mounts, whereas most I have seen have vertical brackets.

I completely missed this question. My bar is off a different car altogether; I just had to modify the mounts to suit the explorer, and with holes drilled in the right spot, the bar fitted extremely well. My bar did come with horizontal mounts, whereas most I have seen have vertical brackets.

I forgot that I asked the question... What did it the bar come off of? I want the bar and want to keep my hooks.

thanks for the post.

I did mine today and i used grade 8 bolts and them grade 5 nuts like you have posted.

I tried some grade 8 locking nuts, but being there is no way of getting a wrench in the frame, i had to use the grade 5 nuts like in the picture.

Thanks again.

I have been wanting to do this since I got my Explorer a few months ago and I am glad to see that it can be done, cheap too! I am going to get some. They would have come in handy a while back for hooking up the canoe on top.

Thanks for the detail install with pictures!

I forgot that I asked the question... What did it the bar come off of? I want the bar and want to keep my hooks.

The bar came off a 1996 Ford Falcon (Australian model). Basically, any bar with a horizontal mount is what you need, or even an L shaped mount, but the base needs to be flat, not rounded like the shape of the bar.

I have now removed mine to fit the "real" bullbar.

I think I'll fit the nudge bar to my 1998 Ford Fairmont.

I coulda sworn there was another thread exactly like this..... (weird)

Anyway, I got a set of cast ones off an expedition, and they bolted up fine. A coupla coats of black before I shoehorned them in. I used a set of bent forceps to install the washers and bolts.

Shawn

Wreckers

I went to my local wrecking yard and took two tow hooks off of a 2003 F-150 including the mounting hardware. Total cost $20 Canadian. I loosened off the 4 bumber bolts just enough to slide that nut bracket into place on my Explorer :navajo:. Install time was less then 30 minutes. It looks great! That was last friday. Then on Sat and Sun I did the Whipsaw Trail in BC, Canada :ca: and they came in VERY handy! Our X's are not designed for that rough of a trail. But I had a blast!!! :)

Where can I buy some serrated flange nuts online? I can't find any at Lowes where I got the 4 grade 8 bolts from. I also checked Home Depot & a few local hardware stores.

I find it very.. hard to believe you cant find a 1/2 inch serrated nut at a hardware store.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-flange-nuts/=41rccz
you could sift through that site.

I say just go to the hardware store again and bring in your grade 8 bolt and say i need a nut that fits this that has a serrated edge.
There are locking grade 8 nuts out there, but you have no way of getting a wrench inside the frame to hold these on. Maybe if you rip off the bumper, but the grade 5 serrated bolts are plenty enough.

All i did was get grade 8 bolts ( forget the length, it is posted here). and them grade 5' 1/2inch(thread) serrated nuts. I didnt have to touch my bumper. I am not sure on what else was stock on the f 150's with their tow hooks. I guess i will have to take a peek at my buddys truck at work. All i know mine are on there and i am not worried about breaking them off.

good luck

That surprises me that lowes or HD did not have the serrated bolts.
Did you check the specialty fastener section? The isle with all the drawers of nuts and blots? Thats where I found mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back