How to: - How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Be SURE-

Your dash switch "should" read: AUTO 4WD HIGH 4WD LOW - - If this is the case you have automatic all wheel drive, like a Subaru..... If it's: RWD-4WD HIGH-4WD HIGH, then you don't have automatic and you have to switch the lever on the dash. BE SURE YOU ARE DRIVING LESS THAN 15MPH WHEN YOU SWITCH ON 4WD HIGH - AND COME TO A FULL-AND-COMPLETE STOP WITH THE VEHICLE IN PARK BEFORE SWITCHING TO 4WD LOW. - - BE FURTHER SURE that you do not drive in 4wd on dry pavement and if on pavement only drive as straight as possible (DONT TURN) when in LOW. - - - Lastly, you SHOULD find somewhere off-road, or even gravel, to use your 4wd about once a month or couple/few months. Keep it used and try it out so you know it has a problem before you need it and it's not there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick Question

1996 Ford Ranger 4.0L Purchased with 110,000 Miles Transfer case oil probably never changed..... Any Oil recommendations (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Stock?????)

royal purple is good, mobil 1 synthetic, etc.. i used valvoline in my differential and my transfer case i used valvoline mercon V tranny fluid, its made for fords.. i think the valvoline stuff works great

From Mobil's tech team

do you guys think synthetic will make any difference in the transfer case?

Using synthetic ANYTHING, oil additives or trans fluid in an older car will in fact start leaks. Synthetic trans fluid will eventually cause the torque converter's stator blades to wear and slip prematurely (documented by Mobil1). Synthetic oil causes gasket leaks galorem first hand findings from working as a Ford tech. most such leaky trucks were ones that were switched to synthetics in a hope to make them last longer.

Synthetic oils are full of detergents and soluable abrasives to remove grease deposits, in older vehicles grease and grime actually holds them together quite well, detergents will usually cause leaks and premature wear, not prolong life. There are SOME semi-synthetics made especially and marketed toward older cars or high miler's but you are still better off running a quality standard oil and just changing it frequently instead. teh only time I'd recommend synthetics is after a rebuild, run standard oil for the first two changes, to allow for natural parts wear and brak-in, then use Mobile 1 or your preferred synth. in older or high mileage vehicles you are just welcoming problems.

My Ex has 587,000kms now, and runs perfectly, passes air care etc.

NOTE: the transfer case for an electronic transmission, 97-99 Ex with 5R55E transmission for example, is permanently filled when new, not supposed to be drained, does not even HAVE a drain plug just a filler with a catch to stop debris. You can still check it and top up as needed but once it's dead it's dead. Draining and refilling just delays the inevitable a bit longer but also results in premature seal wear.

T-Case

Typically with my experience most 4x4's wine a little bit in 4 low, my ranger wines in 4 high, I contribute that to old or a lack of fluid (changing it later today). Should I have any other concerns?

Typically with my experience most 4x4's wine a little bit in 4 low, my ranger wines in 4 high, I contribute that to old or a lack of fluid (changing it later today). Should I have any other concerns?

helical gears whirr, just the way they work. If it is getting noisy, and has TWO plugs a lower drain and upper fill, you'll be okay to change it. Just use standard fliud though, I wouldn't bother with synthetic. Synthetics are a trend that people have started to think is a miracle in a bottle, and we all know there's no such thing.

If it's an older ranger, your chances of killing the torque converter stator blades and front pump seal will escalate with synthetics due to the detergents. For a newer vehicle, after being broken in with regular fluids to allow proper initial parts wear and seating, no problem running synth.

Hey thanks for all of the help, I have a new question.
The truck (ford ranger 1996 4.0L) has new top notch wires and Platinum autolite plugs, and i am having studder issues when I accelerate or try to hold a constant speed. The truck will accelerate strong if I floor it, but to gradually accelerate it studders.

I have a 98 SOHC v6 X with 107xxx the transfer case makes a whining/winding sound(intermittent worse when coasting) I think it may have to do with the shift motor, but could new TC fluid help? I know the fluid is atleast 70k old.

ithough the diff's only took grear oil?

ithough the diff's only took grear oil?

As 'da Fonz would say, "Correct-O-Mundo".

75W140 in the rear. Some cars call for a lighter fluid in the front. Check in the back of your owners manual.

helical gears whirr, just the way they work..
I understand you're a Ford tech with years of experience but I disagree with this statement. The "Helical" design in helical gears was originally designed to reduce noise - as opposed to straight cut gears which make a lot more noise (example: most WRC cars have straight cut gears).

As for the noise in 4wd, that is because most front differentials were originally rear differentials which means they use rear axle ring and pinion gears. As such, the hypoid teeth contact pattern is on the wrong side which causes noise (when torque applied). In addition to interfacing on the wrong side of the teeth, the amount of torque the ring and pinion can withstand is also significantly reduced.

So?

...but I disagree with this statement.

And you are free to do so. You are correct in basic comparison with helical and spur gears. That still does not mean that helical gears don't whine long before they are in need of service though.

bhenry

I have a 98 SOHC v6 X with 107xxx the transfer case makes a whining/winding sound(intermittent worse when coasting) I think it may have to do with the shift motor, but could new TC fluid help? I know the fluid is atleast 70k old.

I have a 2003 v6XLT the does the exact same thing. What did you do to remedy?

I have a 2003 v6XLT the does the exact same thing. What did you do to remedy?

As weird as this sounds...nothing I was planning on taking it to my mechanic to have him crack open the Tcase and see if something was wrong internally, however I guess he doesn't deal with drive train issues anymore(why I have no clue) I'm thinking its the shift motor, went over a large bump and it hasn't had a problem since.

Obviously there is probably still something wrong but as long as I stay outta 4WD Low I haven't had a problem. I'm gonna change the fluid this weekend if the weather isn't to bad since it needs it.

thanks for the info, I need to add oil to my transfer case and did not know what to use, I think mobil atf will work

I Personally Have Used Every Single Royal Purple Product oN My truck, People that know me Call my truck the Purple Truck

Can you elaborate on this IZ? Mine makes a kind of whining sound only in 4wd and its front the front i can tell, are you saying i have a rear diff in the front at its the wrong way? Is this something that ford did? it doesnt seem to make much sense to have a part that cant stand up to the torque in there..but then again i know absolulety nothing about 4wd/drivetrain if its not too obvious by now..

I understand you're a Ford tech with years of experience but I disagree with this statement. The "Helical" design in helical gears was originally designed to reduce noise - as opposed to straight cut gears which make a lot more noise (example: most WRC cars have straight cut gears).

As for the noise in 4wd, that is because most front differentials were originally rear differentials which means they use rear axle ring and pinion gears. As such, the hypoid teeth contact pattern is on the wrong side which causes noise (when torque applied). In addition to interfacing on the wrong side of the teeth, the amount of torque the ring and pinion can withstand is also significantly reduced.

Can you elaborate on this IZ? Mine makes a kind of whining sound only in 4wd and its front the front i can tell, are you saying i have a rear diff in the front at its the wrong way? Is this something that ford did? it doesnt seem to make much sense to have a part that cant stand up to the torque in there..but then again i know absolulety nothing about 4wd/drivetrain if its not too obvious by now..
Its not anyone's fault per say, its just the way it is. The system (the differential) meets the requirements (drive the front wheels), but it just wasnt optimized. So yes it can withstand the torque coming from the rest of the drivetrain, but once that torque is applied, it makes a little bit of noise.

So the kind of moaning sound i hear from the front in 4WD is a normal sound then?..I hope with the 2 + feet hitting us this weekend..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

newbie question, whats the differnce between transfer case and transmission? and what kind of (transfer case or transmission oil) do you guyz recommend on a 2003 eddie bauer edition with 125,x.. miles? will full synthetic makes (transfer case or transmission oil) leak or not? hope to find some answers here guys, tnx in advance

Back