How to - Window Rollup Module (2nd gen) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to - Window Rollup Module (2nd gen)

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I'll never have to run outside to roll my windows up during a rain storm again!...I just installed a ebay window rollup module on my 98 X. This will roll up 2 or 4 windows. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Window...358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256a409d0e No alarm, or keyless entry is needed for this module! It works with the driver side door switches. Everything you need is behind the speaker in the driver side door wire harness coming in… Here's how I did it.

( Try this your own risk!… but it worked for me.)

1 - Remove door panel (Duh!)

2 - Remove speaker from door.

3 - Carefully cut mesh away from wire harness, and separate the wires as best as you can.

4 - Start with the smaller harness from the module.

From Module - to wire harness in door (I used T-taps)

Red - Orange/Lt Green (constant power to mirrors)
White - Lt Blue/Black (acc to switches)
Orange - Pink/Green ( Door lock +)
Blue - Pink/Yellow ( Door lock -)
Yellow - Cut (not needed)

5 - At bottom of door, disconnect the plug to the window motor.

6 - Cut the Yellow (window up) wire from the plug, making sure you have enough wire to add a connector to the plugged end.

7 - From the module's bigger wire harness, connect the Green/Black, to the Yellow wire on the plugged end, and the Green/White to the cut end going to the motor.

8 - Locate and cut the thicker White/Yellow wire (passenger front window up) from the harness coming into the door, close to where the smaller wires were just added.

9 - Add the Gray/Black wire to the door switch side, and the Gray/White to the side going out the door.
I have a 2 door Sport, so the other wires weren't needed but the colors are Gray/Orange (left rear up) and Yellow/Black (right rear up) Just cut and connect as you did the others.

A lot of the wire can be cut to the length that you need. I made sure everything was tight with zipties and wedged it down in the door, gave the door a few hard slams to make sure it was working before I replaced the speaker and door panel

10 - Try it out! It does have a short delay, so don't be discouraged when it doesn't work immediately.

With a VERY small amount of electrical knowledge, this did take me most of the day…but I'm sure this info will make it much faster and easier for someone else wanting to do this cool mod…I love it!

One more thing… During my installation, I didn't disconnect the battery, but I probably should have! I did blow the 7.5 amp fuse to the power mirror switch in the #1 slot in the fuse panel, but I replaced it with a 15 amp… I just thought it may help with the extra voltage.

window roll up

I just bought the same item.I read the thread its explain very good.I am just wondering where I will connect the red thick wire with the fuse one in 10p socket and where I will connect negative/positive trigger wire.
thanks in advance

I'm not really sure what you are asking that has not been explained above. It has been a while since I did this, and now I have a serious case of CRS...sorry I can't be much more help than this. I will say my windows started acting funny and I removed it. I don't think it was the problem though. I do kinda miss it. I may reinstall later once I'm sure they are working properly.

Back