Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Howling

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Ptool2000, June 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ptool2000

Ptool2000 New Member

City, State:
      Santa Clara, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Eddie
      Time for my first post. I tried searching for a similar problem on here, but came up empty. Have 98 AWD and it has a slight howling noise that seems to come from the front end. Seems to start around 15mph and remains constant until road noise drowns it out. I let it coast in neutral to eliminate a motor noise(not effected by RPM's) and tapping the brakes has no effect. Where should I look? I know wheel bearings can grind when going out, but squeal?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boonton, New Jersey
      1998 XLT
      Tires, Wheel Bearings, Brakes, Front Differential all need to be checked to pin point what's making the noise.

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. Ptool2000

Ptool2000 New Member

City, State:
      Santa Clara, CA
      1998 Eddie
      I'll give that a try. What is the best method to check wheel bearings?

6. windsors03cobra

windsors03cobra Active Member

City, State:
      Racine WI
      99 5.0 AWD EB
      Check for up and down slop with the wheel on, if none take off the wheel and brakes and look for rust/corosion dust where the bearing meets the hub and in the same spot on the inside. Rotate it, is it smooth and free ? or is it notchy, loose or grabby ? If so its bad. Many times a bad one will cause metallic munching noises, vibration that increases with speed, an ABS light.
      I think the front diff is kind of a few and far between pattern failure in the front, the wheel bearing are common as the day is long and my 99 has always had a little howl from the front diff and transfer box, no problems with it beside 3 wheel bearing so far, got with 136k miles and now at 214k.
      Always attributed the howl to the AWD which rules the roads once the snow starts flying, love good tires and mechanical AWD.

7. jremington59

jremington59 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Watertown, NY
      1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
      What shape are your tires in? And are they all the same?

8. Ptool2000

Ptool2000 New Member

City, State:
      Santa Clara, CA
      1998 Eddie
      The fronts are slightly more worn than the rears, but are the same. Really doesn't sound like a tire noise, but who knows. After I check the bearings I'll swap the tires. I'm hoping it's just bearings and not the diff. Been trying to determine if the noise is coming from one side or the other. Want to say driver side. I just bought the truck so who knows what to expect. It has just over 110K.