HP+Torque through Auto and Manual Trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HP+Torque through Auto and Manual Trans

Slick Rick

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL Sport
Hey Guys! I just recently registered but I have been reading posts on this site for maybe a year and a half er so. Why I haven't registered earlier? I dunno, I just didn't bother.

Anyways I have a Q that I don't think has been answered/nobody knows the answer to, but I willl ask anyway. Does anyone know how much HP and Torque is lost through an automatic trans as opposed to the stick shift? I guess the real question is whether 2 people have taken stock X's ( one auto, one man ), put each on a dyno, and compared the results?
Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P.S. I am sorry about the length of my signature by the way. Can somebody give me instructions on how to edit it?

Your signature is in the profile section, please limit it to 6 lines.

As for % power loss, I'd think you'd lose more with the auto. An auto Explorer loses about 20-25% to the wheels, a manual probably slightly less. And a 4x4 will lose more power also.

If I remember right think auto loses around 30 % and manual is around 22% at the wheels.

best standard rule of thumb/guideline- 20% loss with auto, 16% loss with a manual. add another 2% to those figures for 4wd (locked in 2wd) and add another 4% to those figures for AWD. also, the percentage goes up on both with heavier-duty drivelines. example, a 14 bolt rear end on a 1-ton Chevy truck will use up more power than a 8.8 on your explorer, a gear driven transfer case will eat up more hp than a light-duty chain driven one, etc. etc.

Yeah, I know that you would lose more power with an auto, because the torque converter eats up quite a bit, and manual don't really have that problem (as much anyway from what I have heard ). But no solid numbers from dyno tests on the stocks? If not that's ok... I guess there is no point in dynoing a stock Explorer with the lame numbers and all right? Oh well, still fun to drive:)

Stock 160 hp rated Xs have consistently produced about 120 on the dyno.

Back