1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

HQ Alternative to Stock Air Ride System on 98 EB

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by Maverick_2004, December 17, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Maverick_2004

Maverick_2004 New Member

City, State:
      Mattoon, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 EB
      http://www.airride.com/productinfo/rideproe.asp and the ARC4700e and possibly the LEV6900 (when it comes out) products on that page look like what I'd want. I think that would allow me to keep it at the optimum ride height, but still be able to lower or raise it a couple inches when necessary. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and any suggestions or comments would be great.

(Keep in mind that this won't be done anytime soon, but I want to plan out all of the aspects of all of my mods way ahead of time)

Last edited: December 10, 2006
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

City, State:
      Itasca IL
      '96 XLT 4.0L OHV
      Welcome to the site (fellow Illinoisian).

I don't recall seeing any other forum member asking a similar question but I may be wrong. Try using the Search feature to find more info on the air bag suspension. There seem to be quite a few "off-road" members that want lift for big tires and "street" members that like their rides lowered. But, I think your project is a first. Hopefully some others will chip in with their $0.02 or be able to point you in the right direction. If you do end up using your truck as the "test bed" be sure to post your findings for others to enjoy.

Dave.

4. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ridley Park, PA
      1999 XLS R.I.P.
      there is an old thread by the kid named AK, who found how to lower and raise his limited with the air ride. If I remember correwctly he moved the sensor closer to the frame to make the suspension raise itself and farther from the frame to lower itself. I think this might be correct but I am not 100% sure, just search for his thread about it and it will exp[lain what he did and he also has pics showing what he did.

5. Ak LTD Xplorer

Ak LTD Xplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Anchorage Alaska
      1996 LIMITED OFF ROAD 4X4
      no..cause you cant see my posts! lol

6. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I'd like to get the air leveling suspension for my 99 Limited. Let me know if you remove yours.

The EE suspension bottoms out in the rear, on hard bumps or loaded down. The front works great at about a 2 inch drop, and looks and handles much better.

I have had several Mark VIIs. Assuming your rear has a similar sensor, you can alter the ride height by adjusting the sensor. It's a mechanical adjustment, but you may be able wire inline to it some electronic component, which would alter the sensor reading. You may be able to trick it into adjusting to the height that you want. Yes they are slow. Good luck, :thumbsup:
      DonW

7. explorer_kicker

explorer_kicker New Member

City, State:
      Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
      97 XLS
      I installed an Air Lift - Ride Control Kit in my 1997 XLS a year and a half ago. It works great. I only put it on the rear Leaf Springs as the back end would sag when under the tongue load of the trailer and the trailer tongue would bottom out when dragging the boat in rough roads to go fishing. After I installed the kit and loaded the trailer on I can get out my electric compressor and adjust the height and level the rear end of the truck to what it is naturally. I keep about 15 LBS in them all the time and it makes the truck feel less body roll when I am cornering now. I know you can get this kit and mount a compressor switch on the dash for when you would like to beef up or reduce the pressure in the bellows. I don't know that this is what you are looking for, but I think it is great. I did modify the kit some though. I ran a line and put a guage to the dash so I can see the pressure in the system, as you have to try and maintain 10Lbs in order to reduce the wear on the bags, I also put the air fill valve in the truck beside the rear door lock so I can just open the window and fill er up once I get the trailer on. This is a cheap solution to the problem if you are looking for one. Hope this helps. http://www.airliftcompany.com/ridecontrol.htm. I have some photos of the installation if you are wanna have a look - give me somewhere to mail them to. It took about 5 hrs, but I am slow... I imagion a guy with better tools and hands would be able to do this in 2 to 3 hours. I also put on some really cool driving lights that I don't need anymore. Before I put this on my headlights would shine at the sky with the trailer on, or anything heavy in the back, now I can level out the truck and see where I am going.

8. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      2001 Jeep Cherokee
      You could basically ditch the air ride all together and go with a normal shock setup. In '98 I think they started only putting it on the rear, so thats all you'll have to worry about.