Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Huge Fuel Filter Mistake

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by pinnacle13, July 25, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. pinnacle13

pinnacle13 New Member

City, State:
      Bella Vista, AR
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Explorer Sport
      I recently tried to change the fuel filter on my 2003 Explorer. I broke the quick connections (the clips that attach to the filter) on the lines that go from the tank to the filter. I know there are repair lines but does anyone have any simple suggestions. I really screwed this up and need you to bail me out.

I have the fuel line repair kits but can't seem to get them fitted together without kinking the lines.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Black Dynomite

Black Dynomite Active Member

City, State:
      Wellington, New Zealand
      2005 Ltd 4.6L
      Not sure if repair is possible, I've seen warnings about this as the whole line is usually replaced. Good luck, hope someone knows how to do this as I thought one of my connectors (the red clip one, not the push connect) was a bit dodgy.

4. Turdle

Turdle Has Pleasure Chamber Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    5. pinnacle13

pinnacle13 New Member

City, State:
      Bella Vista, AR
      2003 Explorer Sport
      Turdle: The other side of the filter. The rear side toward the fuel tank. They have little plastic push type connectors. I broke the plastic pieces that hold the connection in place. There are two of them on that side. The metal one that you are talking about comes out of the engine side of the filter on my rig.

6. apolo607

apolo607 New Member

City, State:
      Queretaro, Mexico
      98 XLT 4dr
      Pinnacle:

I made same damage first time that I replace the fuel filter on my aunt VW (Jetta), I was shocked of seen that small plastic piece broken. I remembered some similar conector I saw once at the autozone, then I went to the autozone and luckly I find it. These conectors can be a PITA since the fuel fragileces them. Please see link below, maybe it will work for you.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...lterByKeyWord=fuel+conector&fromString=search