Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

HUH? FIFTEEN MIN. IDLE AFTER Keep-Alive RESET?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by mbruffey, July 2, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. mbruffey

mbruffey Active Member

City, State:
    MN, MN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
    HUH? FIFTEEN MINUTE IDLE AFTER KAM RESET?

On pagees 1-40 and 1-41, the 1997 Powertrain Control / Emissions Diagnosis OBDII Service Manual refers to a Keep Alive Memory reset. This reset is recommended "whenever an IAC component is replaced or cleaned, or a service affecting idle is performed" (1-40). I thought that I knew what this involved until I read:

"Once Keep Alive RAM has been reset, the engine must idle 15 minutes (actual time varies between strategies) to learn new idle air trim values. . . . Adaptation occurs in four separate modes" (1-40)

MODES (1-41):
    Neutral A/C Off
    Neutral A/C On
    Drive A/C Off
    Drive A/C On

The procedure for clearing Keep Alive RAM appears in section 2A-23, PCM Reset. Essentially, disconnect battery ground for at least 5 minutes, or use your tool to clear KAM. Okay.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT 15 Minute Post-Reset Relearn at IDLE ??? How does that work? When do you cycle the A/C and Neutral/Drive? Or does some other computerized routine do this?

Thx, Mark

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

We Support Our Troops!