Hydrolock!!!!

BadgerExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey Guys.

I'm new to the forum but have been driving my 02 Explorer for a little over one year. It makes me sad to say that this last Labor Day weekend, while out mudding with my friends, I put my truck in the drink and HYDROLOCKED my engine. RRRRRREEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYY Bad. We took out the air filter, which is done for, removed all the plugs, drained the oil, and removed the pan, even took the serpentine belt off and we couldnt get it to budge. We had a 3 foot breaker bar, and 3 big dudes wrenching on the front crank AND the harmonic balancer, and it wouldnt turn either way. My conclusion is bent rods, and I feel I'm looking at an engine rebuild. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. And its safe to say that once it is fixed, my next mod is a SNORKEL.

Thanks guys, and Happy Explorations,

Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be looking at a whole lot more than just bent rods. It will be cheaper for you to convert that engine to a huge paperweight or an anchor and getting a replacement.

I would go shopping for a rebuildable/replacement one @ car-part.com or maybe jasperengines.com

And don't forget to check the rest of the drivetrain - transmission, transfer case, and axles - weee, the fun never stops!!

Pick up rock crawling instead, its more enjoyable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its always fun trying to remove converter bolts when the engine doesnt turn!

That sucks... and welcome to the site. You should post a few pics, we like to look at carnage.

Good point!

Its always fun trying to remove converter bolts when the engine doesnt turn!

It may be possible to pull the engine with the torque converter attached to the flexplate. The radiator may have to be removed for clearance.

It's probably possible to pull the engine with the transmission attached with the vehicle on a lift and using an overhead hoist.

With the engine out, the rod caps can be removed and the pistons can be driven to the top of the bores. That may allow the crank to rotate. If not, the heads and then pistons can be removed.

Back