• Register Today It's free!

I am looking for a differential

JackX2

Reaction score
City, State
Kaneohe Bay, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport 2wd
So i am trying to decide on an ARB air locker or an Auburn ected. i honestly do not know which is better and would like some inout on both if i can get it. I live in Hawaii and well i like to go mudding just about every weekend, sadly this is also my daily driver which is why i was looking at these two.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have never used either one but they both have a great reputation. i like the idea of electric since that is readily available. but currently looking into ARB's

The ECTED is not a true locker (contrary to some marketing claims), though unless you're rockcrawling, it'll probably still work for you out on the islands there.

The ARB however is a true locker (has an actual locking mechanism to physically lock the spider gears from rotating, whereas the Auburn is a limited slip that simply has it's clutches ramped tighter when you push the button).
The ARB should also be a lot more robust (has maybe half as many parts inside the diff). It's achilies heel however is it's sensitivity to a sloppy or careless installation. Seems 9 out of 10 issues with them can be traced to a nicked or twisted O-ring, an overtightened fitting, or a poorly routed air line that's left vulnerable to damage (such as in one case I've seen, some idiot routed it directly above the cat converter :rolleyes: )

Thanks a lot both of you. I appreciate your input and think im going to go with the ARB.

Don't you have to be fully stopped to lock or unlock the ARB?

No. Can lock or unlock the ARB at any speed while driving. Only stipulation is that you don't attempt to lock it while your tires are spinning for traction (which if the tire on one side only was spinning, this would cause the locking mechanism to clash, possibly damaging it (a.k.a "Crash-Locking").

Back