Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

I can’t fill my car

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Emkline04, October 19, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Emkline04

Emkline04 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    I hope someone can help me out! I have been having issues filling up at the gas station lately, so I have been replacing parts according to a TSB. I have seen P0451 and P1450, but they are random and don’t always come on. Also, whenever I open the gas cap it sounds like a bunch of pressure is being released. So, I replace the charcoal canister and installed the revised shepherds hook design on the vent side of the evap lines. In addition, I replaced the vent solenoid and blew out the lines, and checked to seee if the flip valve was stuck, but nothing. Any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. katsov

katsov Member

City, State:
    Lexington Park, MD
    06 EB Explorer
    What's the issue with trying to fill your tank?

4. Emkline04

Emkline04 New Member

I can only fill it for about 30 seconds and then it kicks off. Takes about 20 plus minutes to finish.

5. gdgiordano

gdgiordano Active Member

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    2010 Ford Explorer XLT
    Sounds like something is pressuring for some reason...

6. Explorer2.0

Explorer2.0 Our low milage and well cared for 2nd Gen TARDIS! Elite Explorer

1995 EXPLORER 4WD 4DR XLT
    We've heard of aftermarket rubber vent hoses collapsing and/or becoming pinched.

Team TARDIS

7. MotorCityFats13

MotorCityFats13 Active Member

City, State:
    Flatrock MI
    2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    try to fill up with the nozzle inserted into the fill hole as shallow as possible and use the first notch on the handle and see if that helps..... why the fuel is backing up in the filler neck and blocking the auto shut off breather on the pump nozzle is beyond me but my 1998 would only fill if I did what a said

8. Emkline04

Emkline04 New Member

Where does it happen? By the vent solenoid or closer to the tank? All of the hoses I can see look good.

9. Emkline04

Emkline04 New Member

I have tried to fill it below the first click and it still shuts off. Something is keeping it presurized so it won’t take fuel.

10. MotorCityFats13

MotorCityFats13 Active Member

City, State:
    Flatrock MI
    2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    but how far are you sticking the nozzle into the filler ..... with the engine off nothing can cause any pressure.... when fuel backs up to the top of the filler neck it gets sucked into the breather hole and automatically shuts off the filler head... only thing it can be is a blockage in the neck or a clogged breather/vent hose..... try filling up by only putting the nozzel into the filler as shallow as you can

• Like Like x 1
  11. Explorer2.0

Explorer2.0 Our low milage and well cared for 2nd Gen TARDIS! Elite Explorer

1995 EXPLORER 4WD 4DR XLT
    Sorry but we can't help on that. Our issue was a rusted vent tube that needed to be replaced. We read horror stories of aftermarket filler/vent tubes causing what you described and ended up having a hydraulics shop take care of ours. Good luck.

Team
    TARDIS