I did something dumb (re-titled 4.0L SOHC engine tear down) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I did something dumb (re-titled 4.0L SOHC engine tear down)

Lots of cleaning
I'll bet you will do frequent oil changes now...not that you haven't....
All them timing chains sheer the he'll of the oil making lots of sludge

I changed the oil at 2-3k for 20K but the PO never changed his oil by the look of things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:
I removed the rear jack shaft plug, cassette, chain and jack shaft sprocket. It's a little tricky to figure out a way to prevent the jack shaft from spinning with the front jack shaft bolt and sprocket removed. What I did was to reinstall the front sprocket and jack shaft bolt, held the front bolt tight with an e-socket on a breaker bar, then I used my impact with a torx socket on the rear bolt and it came out fairly easily. Then I held the front jack shaft sprocket by hand with a rag wrapped around it and used the impact on the e-socket to to remove the front bolt and sprocket.

I think there's a special tool you can use to hold the rear jack shaft sprocket while you remove/install the rear jack shaft bolt, but I didn't feel like buying another special tool right now that I'll never need again once the job is done. This special tool (I'd call it a wrench) isn't included in the OTC 6488 cam service kit, but it should be.

It looks a bit like the below tool, but it has teeth that fit into the rear jack shaft sprocket.
s-l300.jpg

I swear ford has its own research and development department just to $=#)@ you over for fun with the tools

Something like ....let's bend some steel weld on it and call it $80:burnout:...

Are these parts in the discussion in posts #9 through #20 also called Fuel Injector Sleeves? I'm about to remove the left side head on mine and am currently putting together a parts order. On RA I see the injector O-rings and right below them I see a 6 pack of Dorman Fuel Injector Sleeves available for $16.80.Link to parts below...
1997 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 SOHC Fuel Injector Sleeve | RockAuto

I see your tool picture in post #25. For reassembly I assume that I will need one as well. I was able to go back and forth across the cam retaining caps to loosen it without busting the left camshaft in to two or more pieces, then removed the rocker arms and have kept them in order. Do you think it is possible to reinstall the cam and rockers without the special tool or is there a risk doing damage during reassembly?

I see your tool picture in post #25. For reassembly I assume that I will need one as well. I was able to go back and forth across the cam retaining caps to loosen it without busting the left camshaft in to two or more pieces, then removed the rocker arms and have kept them in order. Do you think it is possible to reinstall the cam and rockers without the special tool or is there a risk doing damage during reassembly?

Honestly, no. How did you remove the followers w/out that valve spring compressor tool? If you just unbolted the cam shafts I'm surprised you haven't broken them already. I've watched many videos on the 4.0L SOHC engine disassembly and a tool like the one in post #25 was always used.

Now I'm cheep frugal whatever but
In these injector adapters mine were ford when we took them out they crumbled the off brand adaptor s can't be as good plus the adaptor is the only seal keeping fuel in the head don't want any leaks
I'd hate to see all that work messed up over a 2$ part

I just priced a reman transmission from Powertrain. It's right around $2k with a 5 yr/million mile warranty. I guess that's not too bad. So now I need to think about whether I should replace the trans with the engine or wait until mine fails. I'm leaning toward replacing it with the engine.

My 5R55E broke a reverse band with no subtle hints that there could have been an issue. There were no drivability issue with the transmission. I went with a local rebuild at Amaco. So far so good for 20 k but either the pan or something else is weeping. The Amaco re-builder said the 5r55e did not have the servo-bore issues of the other transmissions. They also said they put a shift kit in during the rebuild.

I have zero experience with Powertrain. Up until the 5r55e reverse band I had never had an automatic transmission fail on a vehicle.

Knowing how hard you are working on the truck I would struggle leaving the transmission in it but its a tough call.

I just priced a reman transmission from Powertrain. It's right around $2k with a 5 yr/million mile warranty. I guess that's not too bad. So now I need to think about whether I should replace the trans with the engine or wait until mine fails. I'm leaning toward replacing it with the engine.

How many miles are on that 5R55E, and how does it shift now? If it's working well and has life left in the wear parts, say under 150k miles, you could spend moderate time and labor on the VB and other serviceable items just above the VB. That could run $200 or so in total costs, and a decent converter would be smart too, I think $150ish was what mine was.

whatever you do whever the engine is out and you put it or a transmission back in CLEAN the cooler and lines for the auto trans
Anyone else ever notice that right after an engine change the trans will fail? Or vise versa?
Cheap insurance is to run a can of Lubeguards Kooler kleen through your trans cooler lines and cooler(s)
Anytime I change an engine or trans I run a can of it
Why?
Because I pulled the radiator and the trans cooler lines were open and 100 times over the years I have seen the auto trans fail shortly after an engine change out.
Something is getting in the cooler or the lines while they are out/being worked on.
Will be SHOCKED at how much crap comes out of your cooling system

Good idea to at least have your 5r55e gone through if you know a competent builder?
They can always pull it apart and only replace whats needed, called a "soft rebuild"
Saves $$$$

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-190...argid=aud-799711277694:pla-571869757158&psc=1

81duMs%2B0srL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have an aluminum adapter that I found screws onto the explorer cooler line down at the transmission, then you put a pan under the other line and run a can or two of this through....

My 5R55E broke a reverse band with no subtle hints that there could have been an issue. There were no drivability issue with the transmission. I went with a local rebuild at Amaco. So far so good for 20 k but either the pan or something else is weeping. The Amaco re-builder said the 5r55e did not have the servo-bore issues of the other transmissions. They also said they put a shift kit in during the rebuild.

I have zero experience with Powertrain. Up until the 5r55e reverse band I had never had an automatic transmission fail on a vehicle.

Knowing how hard you are working on the truck I would struggle leaving the transmission in it but its a tough call.

Well, The 2 big concerns I have about my trans are the black fluid and the fact that it will slip in reverse if you try to backup on an incline (that and the fact it has 200k+ on it). I was told the slipping in reverse might be due to a weak EPC solenoid, but IDK. The trans works flawlessly in the forward gears, but it is a weak 5R55E afterall. I might be able to save a few bucks if I pull my trans and take it somewhere to be rebuilt, but I don't know of any reliable transmission shops in my area.

That's true, when the lines are open anything can get inside, simple dust etc, to some insect or wasp nest. The older trans connection were 3/8" flared fittings, same as a steel fuel line you can buy at auto parts stores. The 4R70W is that, I'd think the 5R's are also.

Well, The 2 big concerns I have about my trans are the black fluid and the fact that it will slip in reverse if you try to backup on an incline (that and the fact it has 200k+ on it). I was told the slipping in reverse might be due to a weak EPC solenoid, but IDK. The trans works flawlessly in the forward gears, but it is a weak 5R55E afterall. I might be able to save a few bucks if I pull my trans and take it somewhere to be rebuilt, but I don't know of any reliable transmission shops in my area.

Yeah, that's the time to do something with the transmission. Call the local shops you do have, and see what they will do a "bench build" for. That skips the huge labor of R&Ring the trans, which you would be doing. That should be well under $500 labor. You do want every replaceable part changed, and the same VB parts you've read of here on the forum, most shops don't do in a rebuild. You would have to ask about any of those, some shops won't touch aftermarket parts, some don't mind.

Given your trans still works "okay" for the most part, it sounds like a good candidate to rebuild. Most failures after a rebuild are from building a trans that failed badly the first time. Very high heat and contamination are major factors there.

Yeah, maybe I should talk to my buddy the mechanic and see if he can recommend any trans shops.

the best time to save money on a auto trans is by soft building or "bench build" as CDW said.....one that is still 100% working IE they make the best cores
this is especially true with the complex 5r!!!

Any progress koda

Any progress koda

Sigh... No not really. I'm still dealing with some stubborn medical issues that are preventing me from doing much. I did purchase 2 new torque wrenches a couple of days ago, which will be needed for the 4.0L SOHC project (as well as some other more minor projects). I needed a 3/8's drive inch pound torque wrench and a new 1/2" drive foot pound torque wrench. I ended up buying an eTork 3/8's drive 50-200 inch pound from Amazon (very good reviews) and an ICON 1/2 drive foot pound from HF (20% off), which beat Snap-On's torque wrench in testing at less than 1/2 the price. Today I taught my daughter how to clay-bar and wax the new-to-us Fusion SEL. Tomorrow I want to test-fit a new right front fender I purchased for the Fusion before having it painted and there are new 6 new spark plugs and intake O-rings for it are sitting on my work bench.

Looking at next week's GA weather predictions, it appears Winter is upon us. So that will curtail my meager outside activities, then Thanksgiving is just around the corner (the one day a year I forget about my carb intake).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sigh... No not really. I'm still dealing with some stubborn medical issues that are preventing me from doing much. I did purchase 2 new torque wrenches a couple of days ago, which will be needed for the 4.0L SOHC project (as well as some other more minor projects). I needed a 3/8's drive inch pound torque wrench and a new 1/2" drive foot pound torque wrench. I ended up buying an eTork 3/8's drive 50-200 inch pound from Amazon (very good reviews) and an ICON 1/2 drive foot pound from HF (20% off), which beat Snap-On's torque wrench in testing at less than 1/2 the price. Today I taught my daughter how to clay-bar and wax the new-to-us Fusion SEL. Tomorrow I want to test-fit a new right front fender I purchased for the Fusion before having it painted and there are new 6 new spark plugs and intake O-rings for it are sitting on my work bench.

Looking at next week's GA weather predictions, it appears Winter is upon us. So that will curtail my meager outside activities, then Thanksgiving is just around the corner (the one day a year I forget about my carb intake).
Sorry to hear about your health.
Lots of things happen just not in the order in which we like them to
Feel better!

Back