I fabricated some thumb screws for my engine cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I fabricated some thumb screws for my engine cover

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
A while back I purchased a replacement engine cover from eBay for my 4.6L. It was/ is in great shape, but it was missing the hardware.

As you guys know, it fits over the studs on the alternator bracket, and probably the nuts aren't even required. But I'm a perfectionist.

I believe these are 1/4-20. For a while now I've been using just some regular old nuts and they work okay, but it's slight a pain to pull out a ratchet to take them out.

I always figured the original must have had thumb screws or a push-on, but oh well, the standard nuts were good enough.

UNTIL NOW

My ex is in the shop having some stuff assessed before a road trip, and since I can't turn wrenches on it today I decided to fabricate some thumb knobs for those studs.

I went to the hardware store and found some 1/4-20 knobs, but they're too shallow to use on their own, so I needed a way to space them. It doesn't really matter where the nut is located in the knob, as long as it can thread, because my spacer will hold the cover down.

So I purchased the knobs, some nylon sleeves, along with some 2 part plastic epoxy. To make sure everything was aligned while the epoxy hardened, I wrapped some electrical tape around some long 1/4-20 bolts.

But my concern was that maybe some epoxy would get on the threads of either the knob or the bolts, and I wouldn't be able to get them apart. So I filled the nut inside the knobs with petroleum jelly first, and coated the bolts with it too. Then I sanded and wiped dry all of the mating surfaces.

This way the petroleum jelly will block the epoxy, and it'll remain in there to protect the hardware from corrosion.

I can't test them yet, so they may still need slight modifications to work, but I'm sure they'll thread just fine because they're the same as the nuts I'm currently using.

Once I've ensured they fit tight, I'll paint them all black. And I'll hang onto the long bolts with tape to make it easier to paint them without over spray entering the inside.

These photos will help it all make sense.

https://imgur.com/a/IPz5i

Just to update, once the epoxy hardened fully I stress tested them by wiggling.

It didn't take much for the first one to fail even though the epoxy was rock solid. So there just wasn't enough of a mating surface to withstand the forces. I expected this.

So plan b has kicked into action. Ive filled the voids in the knob with epoxy, and further added epoxy around the outside of the joint and a bit up the shaft. Once this epoxy dries I'm going to build it up a little more with some jb weld. I'll report back after stress test #2

Yes, it has two nuts on the front.

I made plates for this one.
GaJAlUc.png

Back