I have a 91 Aerostar. Will 92+ headlight assemblies fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a 91 Aerostar. Will 92+ headlight assemblies fit?

razzoo

Reaction score
The headlights are very dim (barely usable). The 89-91 had 60 watt sealed beams. I don't remember this being an issue back when we used the van regularly (for the last 10 years or so has become a work van/spare vehicle).
Now I am driving it more, I need to get this fixed.
I have checked the voltage at the connectors and it’s 14+ volts, I also cleaned the connectors, but no luck. The ’92 onward the Aerostar headlight assembly had replaceable bulbs. So here is the question, can will a 92 onward a headlight assembly out of a junk yard fit my van?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many others are going the other way with the headlights. The plastic lenses cloud over and turn foggy with time. The pre-'92 glass headlights are preferred. Try new bulbs before changing to the later plastic headlights.

I agree get some newer Halogen Filled Sylvania Sealed Beams and be amazed.
If that's not good enough give me your addy. I will send you a few sets of 92 & later halogen bulb type take offs that are piling up in my shop, complete with the fogged & cloudy lenses and all the other problems they have. . . .
just send me your complete early style set up buckets & all related parts I'll even pay the freight on the take offs I send . . . .:thumbsup:
CIAO
FBp;)

Welcome to this forum! You could swap the newer design onto it, but there is another option. Get Silverstar sealed beams. I have them on my 89, and they look like HID headlights.

I took your advice, found a set at the local Advance and installed them yesterday -- problem solved. Thanks

There's another advantage to the 1st design, or older sealed beam type in the 85 - 91 Aeros, and that is you don't really nead to have the vehicle dead level to get a true adjustment on the beam projected by the headlamps, FWIW.
. . AND I can get 2 replacement sealed beams + have change for the price of 1 Halogen Bulb for 2nd Gen' headlamps 92-97. Sort of a "no brainer" IMHO.:salute:
CIAO
FBp :thumbsup:

One problem I noted with the brighter lamps is the shorter life they have. The standard XtraVision lamps are rated at 850 / 200 hrs while the SilverStar is rated at only 150 / 50 hrs and the middle of the road Halogen bulbs are given a 320 / 200 hr life span.

Seems like the brighter more costly the bulb, the shorter the rated life.

BrooklynBay, what has been your experience with the life of the the SilverStar lamps? Seems a shame to pay double the price if they're not going to last.

Advance Auto Parts page for the SilverStar lamps

I concur with Brooklyn Bay. High output sealed beams are superior. I find when I deal in pairs they last as long or longer than anything else, but work better than most for far less $$$ cost. . . .:thumbsup:
CIAO
FBp

Back