I have a question about my 1997 Explorer... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a question about my 1997 Explorer...

Erin12110

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
First off, I'd like to say that I am new to this forum. I hope I didn't create this topic in the wrong spot. If so, I apologize.

My explorer has had the check engine light on, but nothing appeared or sounded wrong with it. This was like anywhere between 3 weeks - a month ago. Today I was doing some errands, and when I went to start it up, there was smoke coming out from under the hood. Of course it stalled out because of the problem. So, my boyfriend looks under the hood, noticed that the pulley was seized up, and we wait for the belt to break or else the vehicle wouldn't start up again. Didn't take long for that to happen though... We drove back home with no power steering and so on. I bought brand new parts today, and he put them on. I'm hoping that was the problem and reason for the check engine light to be on.

Do you think that was the reason my vehicle has been stalling and having a bad idle all this time? (before todays problem) Before today, I would start it up, and it would kind of rev up and down then just stall out a few times after each try, until it finally stayed running.

Thanks in advance :) :exp:

First off, I'd like to say that I am new to this forum. I hope I didn't create this topic in the wrong spot. If so, I apologize.

My explorer has had the check engine light on, but nothing appeared or sounded wrong with it. This was like anywhere between 3 weeks - a month ago. Today I was doing some errands, and when I went to start it up, there was smoke coming out from under the hood. Of course it stalled out because of the problem. So, my boyfriend looks under the hood, noticed that the pulley was seized up, and we wait for the belt to break or else the vehicle wouldn't start up again. Didn't take long for that to happen though... We drove back home with no power steering and so on. I bought brand new parts today, and he put them on. I'm hoping that was the problem and reason for the check engine light to be on.

Do you think that was the reason my vehicle has been stalling and having a bad idle all this time? (before todays problem) Before today, I would start it up, and it would kind of rev up and down then just stall out a few times after each try, until it finally stayed running.

Thanks in advance :) :exp:

Welcome fellow upstater to the forum. The pulley is a common failure item on these year explorers. I urge everyone to change their pulley. Not a matter of if but when.

My only concern now is if the truck overheated from running with no belt tension. Did the temp gauge go up? When mine broke the temp started to climb in less than a minute, and I pulled over immediately when it was at the 3/4 mark.

The check engine light is probably unrelated. Take it to advance or autozone, have them read the code and post it here. Call before you go to see if they have a scanner.

Which engine do you have?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I already had plans of going to Advance Auto to get things checked out. Couldn't do it today due to it breaking down... I had to take out the "old car" to get new parts. We had no choice but to drive it back home (which wasn't far) so the gauge did go up a bit. It didn't ruin the motor though, we were sure to be careful. I just want the problems to go away, and my wallet to stay full. Thanks again.

By the way, I live near Albany. Right on the border of Rotterdam.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I already had plans of going to Advance Auto to get things checked out. Couldn't do it today due to it breaking down... I had to take out the "old car" to get new parts. We had no choice but to drive it back home (which wasn't far) so the gauge did go up a bit. It didn't ruin the motor though, we were sure to be careful. I just want the problems to go away, and my wallet to stay full. Thanks again.

By the way, I live near Albany. Right on the border of Rotterdam.

Nice to see other members in the area! Get it scanned and report back with codes. You should change the pulley in the tensioner too.

Back