• Register Today It's free!

i have a question...

blackout93

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver,washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993,ford,explorer
would it be worth it to change the automatic 4x4 hubs to manual hubs in my explorer,its a 93. what are the pros and cons of the two kinds of hubs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you switch to manual then you will need to get out of the truck and climb under to put yourself into 4wd.

There is no pro to the manuals locking hubs as far as I'm concerned

locking hubs pros and cons

Automatic locking hubs need the front wheels to roll forward 6 feet or so to lock in. If you get suck in 2wd first and then shift to 4wd your front hubs wont lock in because the front wheels are unable to move. With Automatic hubs it is best to shift into 4wd before 4wd is actually required so they can lock in.:thumbsup:

Manual hubs lock in as soon as you get out and manually lock them in, getting muddy shoes in the process.:thumbdwn:

I believe the best hubs are no hubs. Like the AWD system in my 98 XLT, flick a switch on the dash to transfer more torque to front wheels and engage "positrac" system. HELL YEAH! ;)

oh okay thats good information to know! yeah i dont have a problem getting out or gettin muddy but thanks for the info!

I am happy to help anytime.;)....

manual hubs are more reliable ... last longer so i've heard.
my 94 has manual hubs, work like a charm. when its snowy for a few days i just leave them in, and have 4x4 whenever.
my dad has automatic hubs on his 02, POS. replaced and it has less than 100k
my 94 has 130k and hubs are in excellent shape

Manual hubs are better for the serious offroader. They are stronger, and more dependable. They can be lefet locked, for when 4x4 is needed, without getting muddy shoes.

Just read some of the build threads on this site that pertain to trail rigs.
These guys don't skimp on the hubs they select to bring them back home.
Manual wins hands down every time. Enough said.

Well maybe not enough said lol. When I used to have a Dana 35 taken from an Ex that I installed in my Bronco I even went so far as to put Warn manual hubs that are made for a rear axle Jeep 8.8 full floating axle. It's a direct bolt in for the D35 and it's a very strong hub. It's even heavier then the Warn hub that is made for the D35.
Don't belive me, just go to a 4x4 shop and compare the two.
BTW those are manual hubs on my avatar to your left...just saying. Never broke.

Back