I just drove a 2002... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I just drove a 2002...

The new one doesn't look as "truckish" in my opinion as the 1995-2001 models did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Minivan vs SUV...

Just to comment on the minivan vs SUV argument...

We (wife, son(2), daughter(2months)) recently went from a 96 Aerostar to a 94 Explorer 4x4 4 dr, and I have to disagree that minivans are far better family vehicles. My wife finds driving the explorer MUCH easier, she said "it doesn't feel as big." Its turning radius seems about half of the Minivan's and it is easier to parallel park. Also, with 2 kids in child safety seats, it is much easier in the Explorer. With the minivan, we would have had to put both kids in the passenger side, if my son wanted out, we would have to take our daughter out first. With the 4 door Explorer, it is easy. I guess the new minivans with the 2 sliding doors would be better.

And, needless to say, with our winters on the Canadian Prairies, the 4x4 has proven more than useful.

We also feel much safer in the Explorer. Get into a head on accident with the Areostar and I would think you could kiss anything below the waist good-bye.

Plus it pulls the boat much easier. And in the winter, I don't have to leave it on the shore when I walk out to the ice fishing shack, I can just drive right out there.

Wait until they're out of the child seats and a little older, I bet you will end up going back to a minivan. If not a minivan, one of these new minivans in SUV clothing. On a trip, having both kids on one bench seat is a recipie for disaster.

As for the 02, I just plain dont like them. The more I see, the more I dont like. If you ask me, the whole vehicle just looks cheap and mainstream. A great example of this is the stark difference in 2001 and 2002 XLS models. The 01 XLS model is much more upscale looking. The same is true of the Limited. The 02 Limited looks just like all the rest of them.

Originally posted by Stephen
Wait until they're out of the child seats and a little older, I bet you will end up going back to a minivan. If not a minivan, one of these new minivans in SUV clothing. On a trip, having both kids on one bench seat is a recipie for disaster.

As for the 02, I just plain dont like them. The more I see, the more I dont like. If you ask me, the whole vehicle just looks cheap and mainstream. A great example of this is the stark difference in 2001 and 2002 XLS models. The 01 XLS model is much more upscale looking. The same is true of the Limited. The 02 Limited looks just like all the rest of them.

That's too bad. I like the newer design better, but both are great.

:bounce: :shoot:

LOL....and I love the updated board. :)

it will be very hard to lift the rear as the axles pass THROUGH THE FRAME ! to bad it looks and drives well , my buddy just bought one , i'm trying to get him off roading ! hah he might scratch it :)

Re: Minivan vs SUV...

Originally posted by BlueOvalFan
I guess the new minivans with the 2 sliding doors would be better.
Ya, once you have dual sliding doors, you can't figure out how you ever lived without them. :) Also, you really can't use the Aerostar as a basis for comparing minivans, both Chrysler & Honda have both advanced that "technology" exponentially in the last 5-6 years.

To comment on hauling stuff: I now officially have too much stuff to fit in my Explorer & have to borrow my mom's Town & Country to move. This worries me, as I enjoy driving that on the interstate more than my Explorer. :eek: Rides better, the 3.8L V6 is a hot rod compared to my dog (4.0 OHV), more comfortable, and that Infinity sound system is pretty schweet itself.

Would I drive it around town? Hell, no. :D

Anyone see the comparison test of the 02 Explorer, new TrailBlazer and the Toyota Highlander in the latest Car and Driver? Or the comparison between the Explorer and TrailBlazer in the latest Motor Trend? Car and Driver places the Explorer third, because it is more trucklike than the Trail Blazer, and Motor Trend likes the TrailBlazer because its is more trucklike than the Explorer.

This is why I dont listen to car magazines :rolleyes:

I was bored at work this week, so I decided to spend my lunch taking a 2002 for a test drive. At first I didn't like the new style, but it has grown on me. I do agree with those who pointed out the very minimal differences between the xlt, eddie bauer, and limited. This is certainly disappointing. If I were to buy, I would choose a fully loaded XLT over either of the other two. Why pay more for almost nothing? Especially since the limited now only comes in black or white, and they don't even have body color trim anymore. Sad.

Anywhoo, I drove the 2002 around, and I must say it is a nice smooth ride. Sure, its not "a truck" anymore, but Ford really did have to design for the masses, and the masses aren't interested in solid axles. To be honest, I never took my 97 off road, and as much as I would like too, I doubt I ever would. As far as the interior goes, at 6'7" I felt like I had a bit more leg room in the drivers seat than my 97. The inside is VERY quiet compared to mine and that is nice. I don't like how they flip-flopped the center vents and the radio locations, but I could live with it. 3rd row seats are great, especially with the rear air vents. Plenty of cupholders for everyone! I DON'T like the fact that the leather steering wheel is only available on the EB and LTD...that sucks. As far as the comments about the interior looking cheap...i don't agree. While the rubberized dash and consoles may not look as nice, I would trade them for the eternal rattles of the hard plastic they used in the earlier models.

All in all...from a strictly on-road guy...I like it. Nice ride, quiet, seats plenty, plenty of cargo room, good clearance, 4wd....and for those who compare it to a minivan....I wouldn't be embarrassed to get called out to the parking lot to turn off my headlights. I'd have to go with the 2002...The stigma of a "minivan" would be too much for me. Of course, this is from a single 27yr old with no kids, so that is certainly likely to change.

See thats just the thing, let the 02 Explorer get some miles on it and you will see rattles just like in the current Explorer. Mine actually has 90,000 miles on it and it has very few rattles. As for the interior noise levels, I actually found them about equal to my 97 Limited. Plus the Limited also comes in a deep silver color that is pretty nice, but its still too plain.

The new explorer is going to be more powerful though right? LIke 239 HP and 280 torque??? Also, i thinks its like 0-60 in around 8.14 seconds...and in one of those magazines (i think motor trend) it says that the new v-8 takes off almost 2 seconds in 0-60 time than the v-6. In my opinoin, thats not to bad. It almost seems that Explorer has gone from "rugged" to "speed/city" oriented. Its now faster, smoother, and not as rugged. THus, its almost not an suv anymore. Im at the stage of my live (probably age) where i would rather have a fast SUV than a beafed up one (i live in a suburb of chicago, and there is almost NO places close to legaly go off roading). So, i would probably get the new explorer for the speed factor, and then put in a supercharger, new cams, headers, sprint gear ect.

However, does anyone know the specs of 0-60's in like Durangos, or any Chevys (like aroun 30,000 price range, mabey 35,000)

Casue, im in it for speed, and i could possibly get the new 2002 explorer down to around 0-60 in 6 seconds. That would rock (i know ya'll are like - go get an SVT Ligthning if you want speed, but i really have grown attachet to my 96 expolorer, i love it). I haven't been able to check out the new 2002 in person, though ive read numerous articles on it. I guess i should make to many plans before i get to test drive it.

Carl

See thats just the thing though, if you're in it for the speed and not the utility why buy one? Take that $35,000 plus whatever you'd spend on mods and get a Mustang Cobra or something.

I read somewhere that the cobra-r v-8 can be put into the explorers, why get a cobra r when you can have an explorer-r, probably would cost more than 35 though....I'll think about it in another 8 years :)

my albums:
Dead Link Removed

That was the January Car and Driver that stated that. I like my explorer because it's good all around. If I buy alot of stuff at the store, it's no prob, so I like the idea of having one for speed too.....have you ever been in the back seat of a camaro or mustang :eek:

Thing is, you can only make an Explorer go so fast. You pour more and more money into it and you eventually reach a plateau. To me, it would be smarter to spend the money on something that has utility and is, or has the potential to be fast. Plus the Explorer has stability problems at high speed like any other big body on frame truck does.

If you want an Explorer, high speed is just on the sidelines, at least to me.

obviously I'm not going to drag race it but like you guys I bought it for utility and if it can go faster without dumping a whole lot of money why not? Personally my explorer seems like a snail, or just lazy - " aw do we have to go fast eddie? let's just enjoy the view" :)

well, the little woman and i went out test driving today. we drove the '02 xlt 2wd, the xterra se 2wd, a 4x4 durango, and just for fun, an '01 mustang gt droptop. unfortunately, we didn't make it to the land rover dealer, cuz i am really interested in a disco series 2. the explorer and the xterra were the first to drop from the list. hated the interior in the explorer and the fact that it seems to spend more time trying to find a gear than it does actually moving out of it's own way, and 24k drive out for the xterra just wasn't gonna cut it. the durango was quite nice. lots of pick up and plenty of room, but alot of valve noise coming from an emgine with 81 miles on it. the hands down winner of our family "sport utility show down" was, you guessed it...the mustang! that thing was a total blast! we put the top down, turned off the skid control and had a blast. y'all should have seen the huge smile stuck to my wife's face! she had such a great time. as i said, i'm looking at the disco next w/e probably, really looking forward to it. i'll let you know what that one is like.

Back