• Register Today It's free!

I love this truck.

turboranger91

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
After tonight, my wonderful 94 Eddie will have carried me just over 2000 miles in the last week and a half. Aside from the a/c compressor taking a crap on me (20 minute fix in the parts store parking lot), it's been a fairly uneventful journey. It's a testament to the reliability of these things. At 22 years old, and almost 300k miles, I still have enough faith in the old girl to carry me as far as my wallet can take me. Just wanted to brag a little. Lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a great feeling :) Thanks for sharing.

Nice to hear a good story about a vehicle with a long life!

I know what you mean. Mine has been reliably hauling me (and whatever crap I've got with me!) around for the last 400,000 miles! Only thing I've had any "serious" problems with is the transmission! I think they just used to make cars that lasted longer. A lot of the cars in the junkyards are many years newer than ours, and have quite easy few less miles, too!

I know pretty much all of us feel this way, owning 22-25 year old vehicles -- it's great to fix something and building something yourself and see it run.. Mine has been all over, from gravel pits at 11,000 foot elevation in Colorado, to Panama City, Florida and everywhere in between, without complaint.. 1st gens are beasts and look like a real truck. You all know how I feel about the looks of 2nd gens with their girly rounded lines. :)

400k?! I hope I can keep mine alive for that long! Logged almost another 400 miles last night. I may just have to really put her through the paces, and make the drive to Alaska... It's on my bucket list. Lol.

For me, its one of very few vehicles that I can use without any modifications. I've never met a pickup I loved. I've tried all kinds of bed covers, stuff is still either broken or blows away. A separate bed is just a waste of space IMO, only suited to farm/hauling use. Plus they are a death trap in the winter. I learned to drive in a pickup in the winter, so I never have a problem, but a front wheel drive car is much safer. I don't "off road," but I find my self off pavement almost every day. From getting deer, to launching boats at sketchy accesses, to going through muddy fields. Plus I tow almost weekly, so a car or van is no good to me. I used to have insurance on a car and a truck, but I don't drive many miles, so I just drive a truck now. Any long trips I'm towing, usually a boat. Besides my daily driver 94 B4000, I also own an 84 K5 blazer that will soon be road ready, and a 94 explorer that is my off road toy. They only vehicles that suit my need are a bronco/k5, explorer/s10 blazer, or an xterra. Since I refuse to ever pay more than about 2 grand on a vehicle (I spend more on my toys like my boat and dirt bike), xterra's are usually too expensive. Maybe one day I'll come across one with a blown tranny, or other failure. bronco's and k5's are usually found with carburetors, and I can't hardly stand them. Certainly not for daily use. I could find a fuel injected model, but even then the tailgates on both have always bothered me. Who came up with the idea to have a giant roll up window that always fails? I have always liked the s 10 blazer, especially the 4.3 engine, but they always seemed too fancy. I like hand crank windows and cloth seats. On top of that, the blazer has a weaker drive line. Some people, mostly those who push the limits, don't like the explorer drive line. IMO, the 4.0 is perfectly adequate for me, never gave me issues, the dana 35 ttb has been bulletproof for me, I've really pushed the m5od and never broke it, the 8.8 rear end is legendary, and the transfer case works great too. Since I can pick up explorers for next to nothing, I will continue to drive them. I know all I need to, and can fix any problems they have. Great layout inside, great drive train, great off road, great at towing.

I love them!

I'm right with you, 2stroke! This is my third one. I can't foresee a time when I won't drive one. They're just perfect for all of my current and foreseeable needs.

i like my 92. it does everything i ask of it. all i have to do now is keep the body from rotting off the frame. a challenge up here in the northeast salt belt.

400k?! I hope I can keep mine alive for that long! Logged almost another 400 miles last night. I may just have to really put her through the paces, and make the drive to Alaska... It's on my bucket list. Lol.

Let me know when you make the drive! WE can meet up!!

i like my 92. it does everything i ask of it. all i have to do now is keep the body from rotting off the frame. a challenge up here in the northeast salt belt.
Oh know what you mean. We get it pretty bad here in the Midwest, but nowhere near as bad as you guys!
Let me know when you make the drive! WE can meet up!!
haha! It's gonna be a while. That's a long and expensive trip to make!

Fair enough. It certainly can be an expensive trip, but it doesn't need to be.
In any event, look me up when you start planning your trip, I know my way around here and the Yukon pretty well.

I think the first gen explorer is the best combination of size, modern vehicle design, ruggedness, simplicity, and comfort. Their small size suits them for maneuverability, they have a reliable and relatively simple fuel injection system, and just enough options to be convenient and not over complicated. Most of the drivetrain is scaled down f150 parts, they seem somewhat overbuilt. If I need a "bed" I have a 4x8 trailer and plenty of towing capacity. I prefer a covered cargo area. (SUV) Any heavy hauling goes to my superduty. It's kind of purpose built..

I have owned my '91 for 25 years and it has never let me down. It starts every time, takes me there and back, and runs like it was new.
I have a great mechanic, she has been babied for 25 years, and i hope I get those kind of miles you guys are getting. Right now, we are at 142,000.

I have owned my '91 for 25 years and it has never let me down. It starts every time, takes me there and back, and runs like it was new.
I have a great mechanic, she has been babied for 25 years, and i hope I get those kind of miles you guys are getting. Right now, we are at 142,000.

There is no reason you shouldn't. Yours is a baby at 142k! As long as a vehicle is taken care of, it should last a long long time.

Back