Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

I need advice

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by MyExpWork, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MyExpWork

MyExpWork Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Camarillo, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
      I have a 91 XLT 4X4 with 160,000 miles. It needs the following:

1. Front brake job $300-400
      2. New radiator, fan, hoses $350
      3. A/C repaired $200
      4. Heads rebuilt due to valve clatter $500-600

I plan to do everything except the A/C repair and brakes. So I am probably looking at about $1500-2000 in repairs.

Or I could sell and buy a newer one for about 12,000-15000.

My wife and I are trying to save and buy a house. We already have a car payment of 322.00/month.

What would you do??????

Brian

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. zensius

zensius Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pleasant Hill, CA
      '92 4 dr. EB
      That's a tough call. If the projects were one at a time they'de be easier to swallow. It's called maintenance. But with all of them coming due it seems like a lot of work to keep a 10 plus year old car running. You estimate of 1-2k for work plus the value of the truck would make a good down on another car but then you've got payments. And you could put all the money into the car you have and have it need another grand in a month.

4. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Why aren't you going to do the brakes? If you do them yourself you can pretty much cut that price in half.

5. JoshC

JoshC Only rolled it once honey

City, State:
      Culloden, WV
      97 4d OHV
      Brakes are about the easiest thing on you list. Really aren't hard at all with a couple of the right tools.

Happy trails!!

6. MyExpWork

MyExpWork Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Camarillo, CA
      1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
      I have done the brakes every 30,000 miles since I have owned the vehicle. Once a year it needs new rotors and pads. That part I actually have already done.

What it needs is a thourough going through the brake hydrolic system because for years the pedal has gone to the floor with no front lock-up. I mean none, not even close. The rear ABS kicks in with ease so thats working. But it gets pretty scary sometimes when I tow my skis with the additional weight. I have replaced the calipers, master cylinder and brake hoses to no avail and flushed the entire system twice and bled the hell out of the system and I still get no solid front brakes. I can go around a corner with the brake pedal to the floor and no screach of tires. I have driven other explorers that have much better brakes.

I went to ART to get brakes(which I am not very happy with) because they are supposed to be "better" those helped a little, but they are noisy and really annoying. Dean has not called me back to try and resolve the situation. I am getting pissed.

So I want to take it into a trusted shop that the family knows and have them look at things.

Any other ideas about my brakes??

Tahnks,

Brian

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      My advice: Don't get yourself any deeper in debt. The one thing that made it possible for my wife and I to buy our first house was the fact that we had no debt load. Granted we were driving an ugly, beat up '78 Datsun 200SX (somedays I miss that car!)
      If you have to borrow either way, I'd suggest you talk to a mortgage loan agent and find out how purchasing another car will affect the home loan you will be able to qualify for. You don't want to put yourself 10K deeper in debt to find out later that it puts the house you want out of reach.

8. Soundguy01tx

Soundguy01tx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Katy, TX
      1991 XLT
      I agree with Mr. Shorty... the less debt the better. I got a stupid credit card when i truned 18, and I am now having to pay off stupid crap like dinner and movie tickets. It may not seem like much but $1500 worth of debt is NOT where I want to be. I am getting out of debt and stayin that way. I may drive a crappy old car, but when it comes time to get married and buy a house, I shouldnt have a problem.
      --bryan

9. yob_yeknom

yob_yeknom Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Glade Hill, Virginia
      '97 XLT & '06 Limited
      Exactly what I was going to say. Keep your truck and don't go further in debt. A house is a lot more important than a newer truck.

10. haktmal

haktmal Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      98 Sport OHV
      Brian,
      After getting the house, the first three years are the most critical times. Most devastating is the first year. You would have to save everything. MAXIMUM savings. My suggestion to you is forget about the new car. Fix whatever that your truck can ride on the road safely. Get the house, then eventually do your engine works.

11. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      Unless you've got overheating probs fix the brakes (for safty's sake) and live with the valve clatter (it goes don't it). Save your money you're gonna need it. Get the house and live happily that is far more important than a new truck. All the best...