Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

I need help hooking up subs.

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Sbarnes2, March 2, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Sbarnes2

Sbarnes2 New Member

City, State:
    Rollinsford, NH
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 XLT
    Hey i'm new here, but i just bought a 99 explorer xlt and i have an amp and subs that i want to hook up. I need a power, ground, remote turn on (ignition), and a speaker wire + and -. What colors will those be/where would they be? I figured all of you guys would be the right people to ask. Thanks Alot!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. Sbarnes2

Sbarnes2 New Member

City, State:
    Rollinsford, NH
    99 XLT
    Cool thanks alot

5. keithisg

keithisg Active Member

City, State:
    Elizabeth City, North Carolina
    1994 Ranger reg cab 4.0
    If you havent gotten it yet.

Red - Hook straight to battery terminal and run it all the way to the back where your subs will be, either through the side of the door or drill a hole in the firewall.

Ground - Theres bare metal under the back seats just unscrew one of the screws and put your ground on that and put the screw back in to hold it.

Ignition(blue) - With your aftermarket HU there should be a blue wire coming from the wiring harness directly from the HU it shouldnt be hooked to anything and if it is just splice it in.

Speakers - there should be RCA outputs (red and white) on the back of your aftermarket HU hook up some RCA wires for car audio and run them to the back to your amp. Your amp should have positive and negative run those to the subs with the correct wiring. It would be beneficial to buy a amp wiring kit and capacitor from walmart or another car audio source.

6. Dat1guy

Dat1guy New Member

City, State:
    San Antonio, Texas
    '98 Limited 4.0 SOHC
    Power- I wouldnt recommend a straight connection from battery terminal to the amp, you want to have the power wire be split by a ANL/AGU fuse (preferably by the battery). Then from there you can more than likely drill a hole in the firewall or just slit a bit of rubber from where the brake/transmission wire passes through and pass the power wire through.

Ground- the seat idea is great but you must remember the shorter the ground the better, so if it is hard to keep the ground closest to or less than a foot long, it would be better if you drill a hole somewhere by where you are going to place the amp. get a ground terminal and screw it in where you drilled the hole. Keep it snug and Make sure to sand off any paint to prevent a bad connection.

Word of advice: smaller the number of gauge for ground and power the better. 12<10<8<6<4 ect.

7. Sbarnes2

Sbarnes2 New Member

City, State:
    Rollinsford, NH
    99 XLT
    I dont have an aftermarket hu so what color would the ignition wire be?

8. 95xltthumper

95xltthumper New Member

City, State:
    dade city fl
    1995 XLT
    please put a fuse on the power cable as close to the battery as you can, id hate to see your X burn to the ground if it should short out.

as for the ground, you will most likely not find bare metal, you will need to take a wire brush and clean up the metal before putting the bolt back in with the ground wire on it.

9. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another...

City, State:
    Monroe, MI
    2006 XLT
    Does your X have the stock subwoofer?