I need Orientation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need Orientation

Reaction score
City, State
Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB 5.0
Hi, Tomorrow im going to see an Explorer Eddie Bauer 1999 which is on sale for $1,900. It is going to be my first car. The current owner didnt tell me much about it. (engine, tranny, ect)

My mother owns a 1999 Eddie Bauer with the v8 and the 4R70W and it never have given us a problem.-

So my questions are:

-If the new one is a v6, it is a good choice?

-That engine (v6) give timing chains problems, like the other v6's on the XLS?

-And if it is equipped with the 5R55E or the M5OD-R1HD, those transmissions tend to give preblems?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the weak points with the SOHC v6 are the timing chains. the SOHC and OHV v6's share the same 5-speed auto transmission, which is not the strongest trans Ford ever built. unless you really know what you're looking at (and hearing) i'd stay away from the SOHC v6. the OHV v6 is a more reliable engine, but can have cylinder head problems and it makes less power. if the timing chain parts have been replaced in the SOHC (documentation required) and the truck otherwise seems to be in good shape, buy at your own risk.

other than the engine and trans, the v6's are pretty much the same as the v8's as far as parts (unless it's an AWD v8 verses a 4x4 v6). personally i'd see if i could find a v8. the fuel economy isn't much different between any of the engines. that is to say it's pretty bad.

Thanks this will help a lot in the future. The explorer I was looking for was in a really bad shape. But i will continue my search! Thank you!

Avoid v6 explorers if for no other reason then that POS Ford tried to pass off as a transmission.

Yes I'll avoid them at all costs. lol Thanks guys!

It depends on the price, miles and condition. Hoping to find a 15 yo vehicle for under $2k that won't need work soon can be a difficult thing, but on the other hand I wouldn't part with mine with the SOHC V6 for $2K. No engine or tranny issues have surfaced yet at ~ 100K mi... knock on wood.

Then again the rocker panel rust on it was repaired so it's in relatively good shape for its age in my region, but I'm guessing there isn't a lot of snow or salt treated roads in Puerto Rico so rust is more about general upkeep.

Back