I think I'm missing spare tire hardware. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I think I'm missing spare tire hardware.

Wakeboy1337

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Pierce, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
My 97 mountie has these tire changing tools under the seat plus the Jack. I'm not sure but I think one of the pieces is wrong. I have the scrench for poping the wheel covers off and the lug nuts and turning the rod pieces but the problem seems to be that I have two rods, but with squares on the ends. I can move the spare tire hoist or the jack with this. If I take the long one piece rod from my old 93 it works the spare tire holder and the jack perfectly. Can you guys confirm that I do or do not have the wrong piece.

IMG_20110716_161419.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of those rods should have a slight hook on one end.
PS: FYI the rod with the hook is necessary for operating the jack also, IIRC.

One closest to the rear goes into the spare tire winch. One in front of it plugs in as an extension. Square in middle of lug wrench hooks over the other end of the extension so you can lower the spare.

Those are all the correct parts, no prob...

The hook thing fell off, you will need to replace that full rod, don't think you can just replace the missing piece, I got mine for 10 bux at an auto body shop from a explorer they got for parts :p:

One closest to the rear goes into the spare tire winch. One in front of it plugs in as an extension. Square in middle of lug wrench hooks over the other end of the extension so you can lower the spare.

Those are all the correct parts, no prob...

Joe it doesnt have the flat end. Both rods are square male and female on each end.

Didn't see the missing hook, or that's not a spade on one end. Hard to tell from the pic, I guess. It looked like a spade.

Made a short vid showing everything:

WTH?! Joe!!

jd.jpg

There's an oil stain!

Just as I worried, the hook is gone.

WTH?! Joe!!

jd.jpg

There's an oil stain!

I'm prepping a early Gen II cover to use with the clips vs. the knobs since those pop out too easily... :D

LOL :thumbsup:

Back