Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

I want a new car!!!!

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Nick K, September 16, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Elgin, IL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
    goober and mattadams and ray's beautiful 97..drool... have the most badass trucks i've seen, goobers may be old but it has some NICE looks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Positive Vibes

Positive Vibes Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    '94 XLT
    Must be nice!

I wish I had your problems when I was 16. When I was your age and if you had a car that was good and if it ran then you were really Stoked! Be happy with what you got and quit comparing. My first car was 21 years old when I got it and it was a 4 door. But I had a car!!! Never worried about what my friends I was just happy to have a car. Oh, and it costed my $500. Be happy and don't worry. Spend it on a education. No matter what you do. Do what you want that way if you don't like you have no one to blame but your self!!

4. newbz

newbz Active Member

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    91 Custom
    I know how you feel about getting a new ride, I got a 91 XLT and i'm 17, been working on it for a year. I've dumped a huge amount of cash into it and absolutely love it. I understand about wanting the very best, #1 Stunna stuff ;) but i've spent most my cash into customizing mine and making it look like a limited, but only better :) Now i'm probably going to sell mine for 5500 and I have some money put away and I want to get a 94 white limited. I could get my mom to co sign and go buy a denali which i'd like also but I know if I got the 94 I could make it exactly how *I* want which is pretty much the same now, I just want leather, sunroof, and all the extra lil goodies that come with the limiteds. If you want to stand out, customize, lift it or slam it, whatever, when I got my ride and once I started modding it, I really don't have respect for stock cars inless you got a lex or benz or something. Every camaro I see looks the same, except one will have different paint, and I know if I raced i'd lose, and I know they are fast but I also realize that if it was really fast they wouldn't be driving it, it'd probably be in a trailer being towed to a track or something. Making a V6 look like a SS....guaranteed anyone who is familiar with camaros will laugh at you I think that is lame as hell personally. Oh and why couldn't he get 8k for a 94 sport? You really got to get your priorities straight, If I could get a denali, which is what your camaro is to me, now that I really think about it i'd rather go buy another 91-94 and dump money into completely tricking it out, something that REALLY stands out. But whatever foats ur boat, as long as it doesn't sink your ship ;) I'll shut up now Oh yea i'm also in Albuquerque

5. Steve94LTD

Steve94LTD Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    94 Limited
    want a new car? then make sure you dont get a girlfriend. I cant figure out WTF all my money went.

6. Steve94LTD

Steve94LTD Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    94 Limited
    oh yeah, and i should probably add some helpful info, and it might be a little more helpful than some of the others because I owned a firebird too.

You CAN drive these cars in the snow, but you lose trunk space, because you'll wind up putting about 400-500 lbs of sandbags in the rear. This will help keep traction and allow for you to use the sand if you get stuck. Also: get snow tires.

Second: there are some of us out there who know about sports cars. Most "muscle" cars with V6's have a single outlet exhaust (not sure about the stang, but I know all f-bodies are like that). Anyway, that will be the first give away, the fact htat your SS not only is missing the SLP exhaust, but that it's missing a dual exhaust at that. You'll also be able to tell by rims, spoiler, and sound of the engine. Superchargers will void the warranty, so you mind as well just get an older Z28 anyway and STILL get better HP and reliability. A 93 Z28 will give you 275hp while the 94-97 Z28 will give you 285. 98+ Z28s will give you 315, but they are pricey. If you try to make a 6 look like an SS, you'll be mocked, no one will respect you or your car, you'll just be a laughing stock of the f-body community, a domestic rice boy.

As for pros and cons. I miss the T-tops, manual tranny, decent gas milage and speed. There's no more 120mph runs, no more wind blowing with t-tops off, and no more good launches with the manual...

But as a 17 year old senior, I do have a fully loaded, dependable truck which is harder to beat on, convienent 4x4 for northern winters, softer ride and MUCH safer/durable, and when I go off to college, which will probably be in excess of 5hrs away, I will have the storage capacity to carry all my clothes, computer equip, stereo and TV (all rather large).

One last thing: a 5300lb truck is a lot more intimidating and safe than a 2500lb car. If you do get a newer car, get a 98+ V8 EB or limited. There are plenty of mods for those cars.

7. Mike 92 XLT

Mike 92 XLT Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Expensive German Stuff
    Bwahahaha!! Steve, I know exactly what you mean. Went to college, got a car, got a girlfriend, see ya later money.

Anyway, another thing to consider. For the most part, your car will take a ton of abuse in college. Tight parking spaces (if you can find any), boneheads opening their doors into you, more boneheads parallel parking by the "bumper method," letting the girl you just met that night drive you home in your car because you're in no way capable of it (or does that just happen to me?), etc. Even if I had the financial resources for a new car right now, there's no way I would buy one. My 92 is in mint condition, and I hate having it here at college (but, at the same time, couldn't live without it) because I worry about what is going to happen to it. I've already been hit twice since I got to Ann Arbor. Better to have a car that you're not so paranoid about in college.

peace

Mike

BTW, I laugh my a** off at the guys who put the fake "Type R" badges on their Civic DX's. Don't try to make your car something it's not.

Last edited: September 18, 2001
  8. Steve94LTD

Steve94LTD Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    94 Limited
    University of Michigan, eh MIke? I was up there last summer... a bit too big for my tastes.. how you liking it?

9. JoeC5

JoeC5 Active Member

City, State:
    n/a
    93 Eddie Bauer
    This is so true.

10. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

City, State:
    Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
    98 Contour SVT
    LOL... I think it must be that damn Michigan cool aid... it gets ya every time

11. Exploder99

Exploder99 Active Member

City, State:
    Boca Raton, Florida
    1997 VW GTi VR6
    Re: Re: I want a new car!!!!

HA! im 21, i have 3 cars, school is paid for, books are paid for, insurance is paid for, and a stack of gas cards. oh yeah, i only work 10 hours a week at the local TV station. my priorities are right in line. im fourtunate enough to be the youngest of 6 kids and have learned alot from my other siblings but so what, the kids got a few bucks and he's getting excited. we've all been there before and learned the same way that he will.

anyway, my recommendation for anyone who loves to drive is the VW GTi VR6.

12. ryster

ryster New Member

City, State:
    Southeastern, PA
    2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
    I owned a '00 V6 Camaro for a year and a half. It was fun at first but quickly grew to be an inconvenience more than anything. Very little cargo room. Constant worrying in the winter months about snow or black ice patches. Insurance was high, even for someone 25+ ($1200 annually) with a clean record.

If you decide to get one, anticipate some regular trips to the dealer. My front rotors were shot at 7,000 miles. Dealer fixed them under warranty; known problem. The frameless glass for the side windows creaked constantly. Dealer had no fix. Resorted to treating the weatherstripping with Lithium grease every 2 weeks to help keep the windows from rubbing and creaking against dry rubber. Had an exhaust vibration develop at around 10,000 miles. Dealer said it was characteristic of the performance muffler. Interestingly enough it didn't do it when new, and I didn't have the dual/performance muffler option on my V6. Power window motors were getting slow and would have needed replacement had I not traded the car. The headlights were terrible to the point of being unsafe.

Anticipate putting new tires on every 30,000 miles or so to maintain the best traction. I traded my Camaro with 23,000 miles on it and it was going to need new tires before the winter. I was already having traction problems in the rain at that point (pretty sad when you need to start in 2nd gear in a light rain just to get moving). The V6 Camaros come with a 235/55 16 size tire. There are not many tire manufacturers that make such a tire. Goodyear, Bridgestone, and Yokohama (Nitto as well). You could conceivably mount a 245/50 16 on the stock rim but the tire prices jump considerably.

There is no way you could install a supercharger for $1,300. It would be a $3,000 project at the very least. By the time you pay $17K for the Camaro and $3K to supercharge it, you could have purchased a Mustang GT or even put a down payment on a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe (supercharged) and financed the rest at 0.9%.

I traded the Camaro 10 months ago for my '00 Explorer. The Explorer is worlds better than the Camaro. I do miss the T-Tops every now and then, and the power of the Camaro. But, in the long run, I have gained added comfort, all weather performance, and versatility. The insurance is $400 per year less than the Chevy. The build quality is better and regular maintenance costs are less (Ford recommends a 5,000 mile oil change interval as opposed to the 3,000 mile interval for the Chevy; and yes the Camaro's change oil light would come on every 3,000 miles). Explorers have a much better reputation for durability.

Keep the Explorer, save your money, and buy your dream car when you are out of college and working full-time. I know I will probably trade my Explorer when it hits 40K or 50K miles, but for now there is nothing else in the market that provides what I get from the Explorer. Who knows, maybe I will just trade it in a couple of years for another new Explorer?

13. Mike 92 XLT

Mike 92 XLT Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Expensive German Stuff
    Steve - I actually like it a lot. The big size doesn't bother me at all, and I went to UCLA my freshman year and that's a pretty big school too. I'm a senior now, so I'm pretty used to how big it is and how many people are here (although now it feels a lot smaller, of course). The only thing I don't like are the winters, but that'll be remedied when I graduate and move back to Southern California :).

Michigander, gotta be that Michigan cool-aid :). I'm just stickin' to the beer these days.

peace

Mike

14. rockymntnhi

rockymntnhi Active Member

City, State:
    Pueblo, CO.
    98' Sport
    V-6 ??? WHY ??? Camaro , Fine but V6 , what a waste ... If you can't afford the V8 , wait till' you can .

15. kubben

kubben Active Member

City, State:
    Austin, TX
    1974 XLL
    I graduated High School a year ago and it was in a really upclass town so all the kids drove nice cars. I begged my struggling parents to take out a loan and buy me a Boxster so they did, they each worked 3 jobs just to pay for my car, insurance, and some of their bills of course. They also saved for my college. I partied hard back then, spending the days blowing my parents money away and my college money and maxing out their credit cards. They finally went broke so I moved in with Grandma after finding out they would not give me anymore money and now at 27 I am so glad I had that Boxster, my life changed for the good once I got it.

16. leenjen

leenjen Explorer Addict

City, State:
    in the poconos, PA
    2001 sport
    ....you said that you graduated highschool a year ago....
    but you also said you're 27 years old...

i didnt know any 26 year old seniors in my school

17. rockymntnhi

City, State:
    Pueblo, CO.
    98' Sport
    What !!!

Kubben , then me get this straight . You are proud of the fact that you took such great advantage of your parents and drove them broke . Then when they needed your HELP ( you milked the cow dry ) you deserted them to go w/ granny , so you could remain spoiled ??? WOW , some people have no SHAME . I feel sorry for your parents , for having such a ?????? ?? son ........... I could keep going on , but I dought a 26 yr. old senior would get my POINT (clue) .

18. BislamJoe

BislamJoe Active Member

City, State:
    Texarkana Texas
    1993 Explorer 4x4 XLT
    I'm guessing that kubben's post wasn't completely serious gentlemen; aside from the age discrepancy, that doesn't sound like the sort of thing that any parents I know would allow to happen.

19. rockymntnhi

City, State:
    Pueblo, CO.
    98' Sport
    I hope he's joking !

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

20. JoeC5

JoeC5 Active Member

City, State:
    n/a
    93 Eddie Bauer
    I hope he is joking. Why would anyone want to put their parents through that????

21. BislamJoe

BislamJoe Active Member

City, State:
    Texarkana Texas
    1993 Explorer 4x4 XLT
    In my not-nearly-so-humble-as-it-should-be opinion, anyone who does that to his parents deserves a good country ass-whuppin'. "How o' a boy are ya?" :smoke:

DAMN! no smilies