I want dual exhaust out the back? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want dual exhaust out the back?

I went to my local muffler shop today and they told me that it is impossible to get dual exhaust on my 97 4dr V8 explorer. I think that is a load of **** because I swear I have heird people on this forum say they have dual. Whats the deal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is possible to have duals. I know that many people have duals out the back, but some of those people had to remove their spare in order to make it work.

its possible... the shop you wnet to doenst know what they are doing... some will say you need to remove the spare however, if you get a person who really knows there stuff, they can work around it

It is possible!

9765mvc-673s.jpg

9765mvc-678s.jpg

9765mvc-677s.jpg

I was able to get the spare wiggled up so it didn't touch the spare. Never had problems from the exhaust melting it in over a year and a half. It hit the sway bar mounts when the axle went up, and I generally hated it and will admit it was a waste of money.

BUT IT CAN BE DONE!

Go somewhere else, it's definitely possible. I went to a shop and they told me I couldn't get 2.5" piping, because stock was 2.25". Idiots.

I had to get 2.25 because they didn't have a die that would bend the 2.5 sharp enough. But I got 2.5 tips.

i lost my spare when i did mine. I opted for the 2.5 piping. I dont like heat that close to my spare anyway.

Thanks guys I thought it was possible. Hey when I find a place that can do it what size pipes and muffler should i go with.

One easy way around the heat tire issue is to put a kevlar wrap around the pipe using metal hose clamps, worked for me when I had twice pipes, back to a single now.

IAmTodd, where is your left rear brake line, from the frame? It is the main reason no one makes a left tailpipe. Ford ran the down line from the frame down through the space where a tailpipe can go.

There is plenty of room to run the left tailpipe out the same way as the right(outside of the leaf spring).

Two 2.25" pipes are larger in area than one 3" pipe(2.5/2.25 ratio). Lots of people are running a 3" pipe. Two 2.5" pipes are really too large for a 302, plus they make it louder. Good luck, :thumbsup:
DonW

Search feature anyone?

The shop relocated it somehow when I got it done. It was going to be in the way. And the e-brake cable partially melted on the way home. That was solved with a hose clamp onto the axle.

Thanks for all your help. I got one last question - how much would this custom job run me?

Mine was $275 including muffler and tips. The bending was $175

Yes, that estimate of a couple hundred dollars for labor sounds reasonable. Good luck,
Don

my brother had dual three inch out the back. it fits for shure.

Dual 3" pipes would be really good for a blown 500-600 cubic inch engine. Just very loud on a NA Explorer 302. Even louder can be had by running turn downs under the truck. They will fit, great, now put on the two 2.25 inchers, and whatever tips you prefer. Good luck,
DonW

Back