I want to convert my SOHC and OHV to Carb'd non-DIS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to convert my SOHC and OHV to Carb'd non-DIS

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
I'm looking for some information on how to convert my 99 SOHC and 96 OHV(Ranger) to get rid of the fuel injection and DIS/computer, and make it carb'd

Any Ideas where to start, or is this even possible with the current engines?

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious, why would you want to do that?

Well, I think about thing's in a worst case to better prepare myself if TSHTF.
Like, natural disasters, terror attack's or anything that would cause mayhem, societal / government collapse.
Being prepared for anything.. :)

It's just something I was thinking about and how to remedy it besides buying a 73 burban or heep...

Anyway
Let's just say that in a worst case scenerio, that terrorists dropped an EMP device in my area, I'd like to be able to drive my truck's out of the area (Bug out).

I don't think it's possible at all with the intake and block designs. At least carb isn't. There may still be a legacy spot for the distributor, at least in the OHV. The SOHC 99% likely has no such thing.

Carbed engines aren't the best for off roading. They don't like inclines. I still don't understand your reasoning.

they were never designed for it... and as far as i know, no 4.0l ford ever had a carb.... so unless you plan on becoming and engine design engineer with tons of time, machining tools, and testing facilites... i would say do a 302 swap from an old mustang with a carb.....

Not too mention that the engine still has computer control. Unless you are planning to go to a manual choke and such. My 84 heep that I got rid of last year used a carb, but still had an ECM and GEM in it. Not too mention that a tube style AM radio just won't fit or look as good.

Hartman said:
Carbed engines aren't the best for off roading. They don't like inclines. I still don't understand your reasoning.

Ahh, I've seen carbed jeep's run upside down, it's all in the setup.. :)

It's one of those " Hey, I wonder if I can.... ?" Then let's see what I can come up with and do...

My son's carbed Jeep can do amazing things.....

um good luck with that

there are offroad carbs that allow a lot of angle

anyways... unless palnning the whole engine swap to a pre smog version i doubt you can do it....

also, it woont be smog legal either...

You cannot do what you want to do. There are no carb intakes for the 4liter OHV. Easiest/cheapest would be to go with a carb'ed 302.

Back