I want to Swap in a 4.6L 2V V8 into my 2001 Explorer Sport, but I need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to Swap in a 4.6L 2V V8 into my 2001 Explorer Sport, but I need help

Chance Koehler

Reaction score
City, State
Junction City Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
How hard is it to swap in a 4.6L 2V V8 into my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport that has the 4.0L V6? How much does it cost? And more importantly, can I still use the stock 4R70W transmission from the V6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how hard is it? hard
how much does i cost? the cost of a donor to start. if you want to take it to the shop, your going to spend waaaaaaaaaay more then the truck is worth
4r70w is a v8 trans, you have a 5r55e. however, can you use it? no
you will be gutting your truck from the transfer case forward. you will have to gut all the electronics as well. you will also have to make your own mounts and exhaust. you might also have to do some cutting on your firewall. if you have never done this sort of thing before, best to leave it stock unless you have a mountain of money to pay someone to do it.

Thank you for the response. the only reason I was asking is because my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2 Door 2WD is creeping towards the 300K mile marker with the 4.0L V6, and i want to swap a new motor and transmission into it, and i thought about swapping in a 4.6L 2V Modular V8 and a 4R70W from a 1999 to 2004 Ford Mustang GT

The cycle of engine swapping in an Explorer:

:hammer::sawzall::rant::drunk::hammer::sawzall::splat::shoot::dead:.

Swapping in a 5.0 is an easier (relatively) swap or just have the SOHC rebuilt.

It's possible. At least in a 2WD format. I don't think any user has successfully done this before, but the guys from PowerBlock's Trucks! swapped a 4.6 Aluminator into a Ford Ranger, which shares the same engine bay, and most dimensions.

It's possible. At least in a 2WD format. I don't think any user has successfully done this before, but the guys from PowerBlock's Trucks! swapped a 4.6 Aluminator into a Ford Ranger, which shares the same engine bay, and most dimensions.
Do you remember how they did it?

Custom everything. Aftermarket ignition, custom built steering shaft, no A/C, custom mounts, drive-shaft, built IRS out of a t-bird, I think they used stock Mustang exhaust manifolds, the rest of the exhaust system was aftermarket. They even built a 100% custom bumper cover out of a fleece blanket and fibreglass resin. I forget the name of the build, but every episode should be available for free at powernation.

This was clearly not an easy undertaking, you'll need quite a bit of money and expertise, not to mention tools to do this .

The cycle of engine swapping in an Explorer:

:hammer::sawzall::rant::drunk::hammer::sawzall::splat::shoot::dead:.

Swapping in a 5.0 is an easier (relatively) swap or just have the SOHC rebuilt.
@MrQ
Absolutely LOVE this post! imp

Back