I want to take my '93 EB off road! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to take my '93 EB off road!

dirtfiend365

Reaction score
City, State
310, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
So just picked up a '93 eddie bauer explorer about a week ago.. I plan on keeping this truck and fixing it up here and there, a decent lift will eventually be nice, but im doing what I can for now. Im pretty new to the 4x4 scene, I have owned a couple 4x4's in the past and took them offroad but not enough to say I really have any experience.

Anyways.. So far I have fixed a few issues with the truck. I replaced the old rusted out leaking muffler, installed new radius arm bushings that were just awful (no rubber was left :rolleyes:) oil change, tranny fluid/filter, flushed the radiator, and replaced some broken fuses so now everything works :). The truck has 182k miles on the chassis but only about 16k on the rebuilt motor and trans. The truck drove like **** but runs really really good, and now It rides much more comfortably with the bushings in place. It has new tires, new battery, new water pump, and a new starter.

I would like to take it off road with the wife but im worried that the 17 year old suspension/drivetrain will give out or something will break.. So my question is what should i go through or replace before I really put her in 4x4? Any maintenance suggestions? Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Overall reliability... see if you can find the maintenance schedule in the owners manual or supplement, and get everything caught up. Probably overdue for diff and transfer fluid changes. If you have auto hubs, consider going to manual ones.

And, an open note to everyone: I just got the next size up jack, 3-1/2 or 4 ton, I forget, but what a time saver. It goes up much farther on fewer pumps and doesn't feel like it is straining at all. This is probably the $100 I most wish I spent years ago.

Check and/or replace your U-joints. Theres three up front, two on the passenger side, one on the drivers side, and two or three on the drive shaft depending on your setup.

Welcome To The Forum, what kind of off road do you plan? something a stock truck can do? Do you plan on a suspension lift? You would benefit from a small lift such as coil spacer up front and warrior shackles in the rear with 31" tires. As far as replacement parts...check your ball joints, check the tie rod ends along with the tie rod and drag link. Check the ujoints for play.

mud tires and new shocks can make a hell of a difference off road. before i got my setup right, i was sliding around and squeaking and bouncing all over the place. if youre still on the stock shocks def get those changed out.

If you decide to do u joints go ahead and replace the wheel bearings and seals when it's all apart.....then you don't have to take the damn thing apart 4 times like I did as they fail one by one.:D

mud tires and new shocks can make a hell of a difference off road. before i got my setup right, i was sliding around and squeaking and bouncing all over the place. if youre still on the stock shocks def get those changed out.

New shocks as in a different size for a longer extension for articulation or just replacing worn out old shocks?

i was refering to replacing the shocks that are on there now being that they are most likely the stock shocks that came with it. a new set of shocks will make it feel like a whole new truck and allow it to handle its own in light offroad situations. it will depend on how high a lift you decide to ultimately get if your do plan on lifting it. if you do a basic shackle TT lift, it will only reduce the amount of travel that a basic set of shocks will have but it should still work.

as for mud tires, they make a world of difference once you hit the dirt. i did a light off road run when i first got my ST on the LT michelins, and once i got my new wheels and pro comp mud tires, i was killing it off road. same thing for when i threw a set of mud tires on my old isuzu rodeo, whole new ball game when i hit the trail. in my opinion, these are two of the most cost effective mods you can make if you are just starting out.

Back