• Register Today It's free!

IAC location help!

dolphnz

Reaction score
City, State
newport news, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Exlplorer XLT 4.0
I have a 2004 Ford explorer, XLT, 4.0L SOHC! I sold ford parts for years and sold a many of these valves. Had it checked and showed 'low idle' due to Idle Air Control Valve. Have done my fair share of working on vehicles myself, but for the life of me cannot locate the valve!!! Can someone help me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looked in my Haynes manual and on pg 6-22 it says The idle Air Control (IAC) valve is located on top of the intake manifold, next to the throttle body.

Unusual configuration

I believe that the 2004 intake manifold looks like the one shown below.
04Intake1.jpg

If so, then the IACV is probably the aluminum colored item on top of the manifold next to where the throttle body mounts.

That is what the book had a arrow pointing to.

The 2004 Explorer doesn't use an IAC....they stopped using them in the 03 models. Do a search for IAC in this forum, you will see many posts about the IAC Valve and what years it applies to, and doesn't

Thepotroast is correct:thumbsup: a quote from my Haynes Manual" "Note: 2004 and later models do not have an IAC valve. Becuase they incorporate an electronically controlled throttle, the PCM adjusts idle air by varying the position of the throttle plate." :salute:

Thanks for the help but if my 2004 ford exployer xlt doesn't have a IACV whats my problem because the computers at the parts store is saying that my problem and i dont no what to do can someone help PLEASE!!!

Post the codes here and then maybe someone can shed some more light. Maybe you just need to clean the throttle body.

Hey
The 2004 Explorer doesn't use an IAC....they stopped using them in the 03 models. Do a search for IAC in this forum, you will see many posts about the IAC Valve and what years it applies to, and doesn't
Bud...just so you know. I have an 04 sport Trac and I HAVE THE IAC...I just fixed my idle by carb cleaner/blowout. It runs great now.
Maybe you've just NEVER SEEN a 2004 with IAC... Mine is right on top of the intake/throttle body. I cleaned the MAF sensor too, just to be thorough. Your comment cost me an extra half hour of research but hey, it's all good.

Hey

Bud...just so you know. I have an 04 sport Trac and I HAVE THE IAC...I just fixed my idle by carb cleaner/blowout. It runs great now.
Maybe you've just NEVER SEEN a 2004 with IAC... Mine is right on top of the intake/throttle body. I cleaned the MAF sensor too, just to be thorough. Your comment cost me an extra half hour of research but hey, it's all good.
iirc the tracs still continued to basically be a 2nd gen X. the 3rd gen X may be the same year but the trac rode on the 2nd gen platform iirc so its more akin to a 2g

2001-05 Sport Trac is based on the second generation (1995-01) platform. Same applies to later build (Job 2 SOHC) 2001 thru 2003 TWO door Sports.

2002-05 (Gen 3) FOUR door Explorers also use the 4.0L SOHC, but in a different configuration. Different intake, etc.

Back