How to: - IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
when i went to autozone, i got a p1506 code: idle air overflow error

also, i noticed that i get really really bad gas mileage.. i've been averaging 10-11 mpg.. even after i cleaned out the iac.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

God bless this forum, I cleaned my unbelievably dirty IAC, and its little black cap filters with a quick drying electronic cleaner after searching thru threads for idle loping.
Someone else said it "Sometimes the bear gets you and sometimes you get the bear", its nice to get the bear so easily.

my explorer is making the same noise but some people have told me it's my fan clutch

Humming Gone!

My 98 Sport was doing a hell of alot of humming until I cleaned out the IAC. Without this forum I would have had no idea, because the noise was coming from the air intake and there was no rough idling.

The humming didn't actually start until after I accelerated and began taking my foot off the accelerator. Then it would keep humming until I "pulsed" the throttle. The weird thing is that the truck never died at idle or idled rough.

Either way, a nice cleaning with electric parts cleaner and a moving of the actuator in the valve fixed it.

This was my first fix on my truck and it was successful. 1 for 1. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Later
Mike

The older X's have the IAC without the Black cap. Can I spray the inside from the holes after I remove it? Will that help anything? I'm getting a slight uneven idle and it takes a bit more cranking to Start. Not much but noticeable. I thought I'd start with Plugs and this. The wires have 37K on them so I think the are OK, they wire decent wires.

Could a bad IAC cause no idle at all. I have taken mine out and cleaned it with carb cleaner last night ( before I found this thread) Today it won't even idle. I took it off again and cleaned it. also moving the plunger back and forth. I moved it back to the open side. It would idle after I put it back on. After tring it again it wouldn't idle. I am leaning towards a bad IAC. thoughts????

Tim

THANKS FOR THIS THREAD!!! very useful.

I was in the same boat as mdhipp.Reading this thread helped me a lot.I was actually going to buy a new air intake system and buy reading this it saved me a tone of money thank you very much.

I cant find this part on FPN..... Anyone have a part number for an OHV in a 98?

hey, ive got a good one for everyone!!! i just recently just bought and installed a k+n air filter on my 94 ford explorer xlt and am having big problems. with the new air filter, the engine runs then tries to stall and does this for the first few mins. at a time then it tries to die completely and no matter how hard i push on the gas pedal, it just creeps along at 1mph.???kinda like -------_-----____------_____----________---.
the lower lines would be the stalling parts the explorer forum told me when i install the filter, i should plug the vacuum hose and had no good results? well, i do go offroad a lot and i go stock. how can just putting on the higher flow air filter screw it up soooo badly?

Is the Mass airflow sensor still connected? Is there any leaks on the intake pipe? What kind of filter is it, a simple drop in or cone style? Did you also try putting the old filter in and seeing if the problem is there still? Check to make sure you didnt loosen off any wires.

k+n air filter+94 explorer xlt=dead engine???

well, all i can say is that everything is still connected including the MAFS.
i never removed the MAFS. it just seems the engine is getting the wrong
air/fuel mixture or something. nothing was ever disconnected. i just want to connect the k+n air filter and get better power for the trail. runs perfectly fine with the stock filter and box assembly??? do you think the chip is re-programmable? im verry low on cash too. what, within my abilities, can i do or try to do to make it run the way it should? i wish you guys could see and hear how bad this is! help help help:(

still a bit confused on what type of filter, is the K&N a drop in (flat) filter or cone (well shaped in a cone kinda)? if its the drop in you shouldnt have any problem since its just replacing the filter and nothing else, if its the cone type then yould need the adaptor for the mafs, which if there are no leaks in the intake pipeing you shouldnt have any problem with.

The IAC will definitely cause a no idle. I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep the motor alive since it wouldn't idle when my IAC stuck. I got it replaced around 100K and she purrs like a kitten still at 180K. Even with the A/C on. :thumbsup:

Thanks for this thread! It saved me a trip to the repair shop to fix the loud whining sound I was experiencing.

My IAC was filthy - I cleaned it out and the whine went away.

Caleb

Is there supposed to be a gasket

there when you remove the IAC valve for cleaning? My valve is the kind without the black disc shown in the beginning but there is no gasket there?

Phredawgy said:
there when you remove the IAC valve for cleaning? My valve is the kind without the black disc shown in the beginning but there is no gasket there?

Yes, the IAC has a gasket.

Nice pictures. I just figured out where that "eight shaped" rubber gasket was supposed to go that came with my upper gasket kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My IAC does not have this black cap that yours does. I just went out to the truck and pulled it off. So, whats up with that?

Back